The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installtion problems...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mousewonders, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mousewonders

mousewonders Member

Ok I have been at this for days now.

Here are my problems:
    (UPDATE: Ok cpanel installed but now I get invalid license file. I fixed this last night by doing iptables --flush then running /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeycit and that fixed it last night.. but today I get cpanel unable to determine correct hostname...)

I open the terminal and su to root. then I type wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    cd /home
    Sh Latest

Then I see the cpanel logo and then after a few secs I get an error that reads Hostname is incorrect, make sure it is a FQDN. (I have no clue how to do this, I have googled my eyes out.)

So then it tells me I can change it later and to run /scripts/something --force which I did. Now it has hung up on Ping 125.151 Testing connection speed to mysql.mirror.anlx.net using wget... (Update: I guess I just didnt wait long enough, it continued the install).. but I still have the problem with the hostname.

I for the life of me cant figure out how to setup a hostname correctly on Debian. I current have mousewonders.net registered and pointing to ns1.mousewonders.net and ns2.mousewonders.net which both point to my static ip 216.223.173.204 (which should point to this Debian server)

Now what do I need to do? I want blowfish.mousewonders.net to be this server but I guess I'm not setting it up correctly.

This is like my 5th attempt to install cpanel. Last night after fighting for hours I did end up getting it installed.. but it wouldnt work right because I did it with a full install of Debian.

So this morning I reinstalled Debian (The newest version, I use there cool install while downloading feature..) The only package I installed was the desktop package. which then leads me to the very top of this post....

Your help will be must needed.... someone deliver me from this frustration. (I must add that I'm very new to Linux... so please responsed as if you are speaking to a moron.....)

Richard

#1 mousewonders, Sep 25, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    http://ezsm.net/hostname.sh

this script may help you set your hostname not sure if it works on debian??

but usally the installer does not care if the hostname resolves as long as the IP does

desktop package ?? I asume that is x window or some local desktop aPP has no use on A webserver

3. mousewonders

mousewonders Member

Well I got cpanel installed.. nothing works lol but it is installed.. it seems to not beable to locate mysql and the named failed and cant start http...

anyone got any help for me?