Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instructions for increasing Open File Limit

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by KWH, Sep 6, 2017.

1. KWH

KWH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I have an increasingly busy website which is more and more frequently experiencing problems with MySQL hitting the Open File Limit. The error report emailed to me says the limit is 10000 - it clearly needs to be much, much higher than this as the database is affected about every 2-4 hours now! I've checked Tweak Settings and it is set to "allow cPanel & WHM to determine the best value for your MySQL open_files_limit configuration". I've searched for instructions on how to manually set the Open File Limit and am getting nowhere fast. Is there a link I can refer to for instructions on how to resolve this issue, or can someone kindly bullet point the process for me, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kelly

#1 KWH, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. KWH

KWH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply. This presents a bit of an experimental process, doesn't it? The thread is 15 years old and the OP had a good deal of problems reaching a solution! I can do without my server being down for hours while I fumble around working out what to do next, with a MUCH newer version of everything to work with! I assume it goes something like this:
    1. Stop the server
    2. Change Tweak Settings> SQL > "allow cPanel & WHM to determine the best value for your MySQL open_files_limit configuration" to disallow.
    3. Modify the /etc/my.cnf file with the new value
    4. Restart the server
    Any advice would be gratefully received! My server is crashing every few hours now!

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That thread was started a year ago and is updated on page 2 that it was resolved there.

5. KWH

KWH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been able to increase the Open File limit via the route detailed here... So far so good.

cpanelplesk.com/how-to-increase-max-open-file-limit-in-linux-system/