The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Integrating cPanel with ISP core infrastructure services

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobhancock, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bobhancock

bobhancock Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

As a ISP we already as a DNS and mail proprietary hosting solution.
    All I need from cPanel is the the "web hosting" feature.
    I would like to use my own DNS and mail server.
    So
    question one:
    is it possibile to use cPanel with external mail server and DNS server or equivalent, disable
    the mail account feature and the registration and zone management of the DNS feature.

question two:
    Can I use a shared file system such as NFS? can I balance an installation of two or more cPanel with
    my hardware balancer? Is there an HA solution?

question three:
    As I understand, I can automate all the delivery processing using API. This way I can integrate the
    provisioning with all my other services. Is this true?

question four:
    Can I use the same API (or at least the same interface) to provision a web site (and a user) on the windows control panel?

question five:
    How cPanel and WHM interact? Do I have only one WHM and many cPanel or each server is independent
    and as it's own cPanel and WHM set of software?

I understand I have a lot's of questions but I cannot find a clear response using your website.

Thank's for your Help.
    Regards
    Roberto

2. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. Yes, but it's going to be a lot of manual work on your end, to create the DNS records and email accounts. Simply disable BIND and Exim (and remove anything related to them from the packages)

2. Yes. There are quite a few discussions, with different setups / results in the forum, just search for it :)

3. Yes

4. Enkompass has it's own API, but you could probably achieve what you need to with some tweaking on your side.

5. WHM is the owner's control panel, cPanel is the end user's control panel. Each server has one WHM and 1 cPanel, but you can setup resellers who each have their own WHM access as well if you need to.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, DNS actually would be easier than mail for separating it out as we have a clustering feature already. We also have discussion of using a DNS plugin system:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/dns-server-alternatives-powerdns-209792.html#post1154572

For email, if you do choose to go with an off server email alternative, you might at least use cPanel as the secondary MX so that it serves as a backup mail exchanger. This way you could have mails queue to the cPanel machine in the event of the primary MX being offline, then they would deliver once the primary is back.

Of note, we do actually support off server remote MySQL servers in WHM as well. So remote DNS and remote MySQL are two alternatives.