The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Integration with Sendgrid

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by BillyS, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BillyS

BillyS Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm using a google cloud instance, and all incoming ports are blocked by default, so the firewall needs to be configured to open the ports the user wishes to have open. I've opened ports, including 25; however, google compute engine does not allow outbound connections on ports 25, 465, and 587.

They have an agreement with third parties, such as Sendgrid, and I've configured Exim to work with that service. With Sendgrid, we're instructed to use port 2525, and this has been working. For example, I can send an email to my gmail account from admin@mydomain.com and I can received an email from my gmail account to admin@mydomain.com.

What is not working are emails sent out directly from the server to an external address. I believe the problem is these emails come from root@host.mydomain.com, not root@mydomain.com.

Sendgrid has a "whitelabel" function, which allows me to map mail.mydomain.com to a Sendgrid location via CNAME. For example, mail.mydomain.com is mapped via CNAME to xxxxxxxx.xxxx.sendgrid.net. I believe the problem is Sendgrid is not configured correctly to allow root@host.mydomain.com to send or receive mail. Looking for some advice on how to make this work.

#1 BillyS, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

One workaround to consider would be to setup notifications via a non-email service such as PushBullet via:

"WHM Home » Server Contacts » Contact Manager"

You may also want to vote and add feedback to the following feature request:

ability to specify system notification email address

Thank you.

3. BillyS

BillyS Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After spending hours trying different configurations, I never did get this to work. Specifically, despite whitelisting root@host.mydomain.com with Sendgrid and adding root@host.mydomain.com to exim as a "sender." I could not get root@host.mydomain.com to send out emails to non-mydomain.com email addresses. Since I did want to receive certain notifications from the server, I configured the notifications to go to admin@mydomain.com instead of my gmail account.