The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interchange is the BEST and MOST SECURE free cart

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andrewchk, Jul 27, 2004.

1. andrewchk

andrewchk Member

Interchange is so far the best and most secure opensource shopping cart, by having read reviews (i didnt bookmark the links) on the net.

But, it is harder than any other script such as osCommerce. Since IC uses perl as the main language which provide secure operation, it is hard for newbies without expertise in Perl.

I have seen many many posts complaining about Interchange, and actually what I think is, if you dont have the ability to config or modify IC then please do NOT use it or do NOT complain about IC, it is for higher level uses.

I have IC runnung well in my new box and I have UPDATED all things which need to be updated, these are, cPanel 9.xx version, and it comes with an update of IC 5.0 as well.

The only things I am not quiet satify is the autoinstall function offered by cPanel, which seems assumming everyone like to use the URL look like"http://mydomain.com/~users/cgi-bin/cart.cgi/". It is ugly and I hate it the most. Also, it doesnt provide any chance for user to set the username and password as well.

So... what I am going to do here, I would like to suggest cPanel, even they are not going to provide more support on IC, to work out the INSTALLATION function of Interchange so that users can at least having the oppuntunity to customise the URL, username and password, as a basic requirement to everyone, especially newbies.

I am a fool who choose cPanel for the reason of they provide the automation of Interchange, and I have been foolED. So that now I am seeking for expert to fix up the URL issue for me... :eek:

COMPLAIN CPANEL, NOT INTERCHANGE. DONT SCARE PEOPLE TO USE INTERCANGE.
    I have saw the power of Interchange in, administration prospect, user prospect, and customization ability. :mad:

JUST HOPE THE NEXT VERSION (UPDATE) OF CPANEL WILL COME WITH THE SOLUTION TO SATISFY THE basic REQUIREMENTS .. :D

#1 andrewchk, Jul 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm confused. If you don't like Interchange, but do like OSCommerce, why don't you just use OSCommerce? Both can be enabled within WHM for installation through cPanel. You dont have to use Interchange if you don't want to.

If you've got suggestions for cPanel, then use the appropriate suggestions form on their website.

3. andrewchk

andrewchk Member

Hi THANKS for your reply and what I am saying is, i do LIKE INTERCHANGE, but the installation automation that CPANEL provided is NOT GOOD enough (If you read it again). And I HOPE CPanel can do it better as INTERCHANGE is the BEST and most SECURED.

I do LIKE it but not satisfied about the function come with CPANEL for the installation.

4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

You might be better to just install your own version of Interchange, rather than use the cPanel auto install one.

That way you can install it to how you like it.

It runs as a daemon, in multi user format (shared Hosting, auto install), I think cPanel have done pretty well with it.

I personally would not depend upon it (the bundled cpanel version) and don't run it on any servers, though plenty do I know.

If you need a solid shopping cart application (and Interchange is solid and very robust) then best to install your own version and update it as per the developers releases, then it will run exactly how you want it to.

5. andrewchk

andrewchk Member

Thanks very much for your advise, could you please help some more in what procedures i will need to make new install of Interchange and not affected by the Bundled-one? I mean, as cPanel comes with couple versions of Interchange, if I go install the newest 5.2 version, will there be conflicted with the cPanel bundled versions?

Thanks in Advance !

6. ChasTX

ChasTX Registered

Interchange 5.2 in cPanel

I would also be interested in hearing about the pitfalls and procedures of a local Interchange 5.2 installation on a cpanel box. No sense in reinventing the wheel if others have gone before us!

7. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

If you install interchange into the default location, /usr/local/interchange as root or create a user and install it onto that account, then you shouldn't come up against too many issues.
    RPMS are available for redhat, so that may be an option.
    Read the config and installation docs here: http://www.icdevgroup.org/interchange-doc-5.2.0/

You may need to change the ports it runs on if you have cPanels version installed on the same box, as I believe cPanels uses the interchange default ports.

#7 DigitalN, Jan 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  8. networxhosting

networxhosting Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

if you have a suggestion on how to better-install interchange, POST it to http://bugzilla.cpanel.net as im sure if its a good suggestion it could be implimented. I suggest trying to work WITH the cpanel team, not against them, as it is a win-win situation for everyone