The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting nameserver question...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by EMS, Apr 28, 2005.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

We have decided to switch to using cpanel's clustering for nameservers and so far have done the following...

1. Introduced a new cpanel box purely for DNS - ns1.domain.com running named.

2. Individually on all other cpanel servers, started clustering and added a trust relationship with the above nameserver as a sync server. So each server sends all its updates to the new server and nowhere else.

The plan is to add another server as ns2.domain.com and do the same.

My question is a simple one - how do I get the zone files on all servers onto the new nameserver ? As far as I can tell, cpanel clustering will only send UPDATES to the server - not full zone files.

I have looked at the DNS sync options but there are no options to push all records up to the other server in the cluster - only compare all zones and update accordingly - or send all zones to all servers. Well, you cant compare the zones if the new server doesnt have any - and I dont want all servers to contain all zone files.

Can anyone pls advise ?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cPanel DNS Clustering will send all the zones to the new server so long as you set thm all to synchronize. There's an option to have this done immediately in WHM > DNS > Synchronize DNS Records > Synch All (or Synch All Local if you're on the new server)

3. EMS

EMS BANNED

Hi,

Thanks,

Using the syncronize options...

As mentioned, I cant use "syncronize all" because this will update in both directions and I dont want ALL records on all servers.

I have tried the "sync all local" option from the nameserver but this doesnt pull the records from the other server at all.

I have my servers set as fololows...

server1 > ns1
    server2 > ns1
    server3 > ns1

etc etc etc

So in each "cluster" there are only two servers - the hosting server and the nameserer(eventually there will be 3 - the hosting server and the two nameservers) I want updates to go in one direction only.

As I said, If I use the syncrinize all option - this will send all updates to the nameserver and also pull all the records down fromthe nameserver. I dont want this to happen - only the nameserver should contain ALL records on ALL servers.

The "sync all local" option from the nameserver simply states that it has completed after about 2 seconds - it doesnt pull the records from any of the other servers.

I'm now desperate for some help please.

Update....

Just to double check whether I'm going mad or not I looked at the wording again on the sync options.......

"Synchronize all zones to all servers:
    All Zones will be compared with the same zones on all servers in the cluster and the newest ones will be copied to all servers in the cluster. "

Ok - I think I'm right on this, If the script compares zones on server1 with ns1, server1 has maybe 250 domains and ns1 has several hundred currently - I dont want all zones copying to all servers in the cluster because server1 only needs to contain its own zones.

"Synchronize all zones to this server only: (done from ns1)
    All Zones will be compared with the same zones on all servers in the cluster and the newest ones will be copied to this server only. "

That would be great if it worked but it doesnt. I have each hosting server setup with only the nameserver in its cluster and set to sync.

From the nameserver, each hosting server is listed in the cluster config as standalone.

As far as I know, from reading these forums this is the most effective way to set up the cluster - my problem is that having done this, the nameserver doesnt contain any of the records from most of my servers. It only contains the records from 2 servers I have performed the "sync all" script - a big mistake because these now contain records I dont want and there is no way of clearing this down without doing it manually.

Can anyone shed any light on this ? Surely many people have successfully set up a cluster without experiencing this problem - what am I doing wrong ?

#3 EMS, Apr 29, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  4. accyroy

accyroy Member

I've just set something like this up, the servers that you don't want to have all the records on should be set to standalone. Even when you press "synchronise all" the standalone servers will not get all zone files but they will pass on there own zone file data to the main dns servers.

5. EMS

EMS BANNED

Are you 100 % sure on that ?

If so I'm very grateful - It seems I was taking the wording in whm literally.

Do you find it takes a very long time for them to sync the first time ?

I presume I dont need to run named on any of the servers other than the nameservers.

6. accyroy

accyroy Member

I did this only yesterday on my servers and it worked as I explained. In WHM it can be quite confusing as the cluster image has arrows that, to me, point in the wrong direction.

It didn't take long to synchronise mine as there where only about 50 or so domains to synch.

7. EMS

EMS BANNED

These servers have maybe 200 to 300 zones on them and when trying to sync, the progress dots just keep on increasing ..................... after two hours its still going. Checking the nameserver shows no new zone files being created. I think something is wrong but I cant pinpoint it.

Edit...

Having read more posts in this forum on the subject it seems that the version 2 fast mode doesnt work very well.

I've switched to the v1 slow method and this seems now to be working fine - although fairly slow - slow is better than not at all.

#7 EMS, Apr 29, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  8. EMS

EMS BANNED

I just wanted to mention that using the sync all script DOES copy ALL zone files down to the hosting server, even though its set to only go in one direction.

This is a bit of a pain in the a** to be honest. Its not neccessary to have all the dns zones on all the servers.

As mentioned previousley - on each hosting serer I have added the first nameserver as the only server in the cluster and set it to syncronise - meaning that all updates will be sent TO it.

On the nameserver itself, I have not added any servers so the hosting servers each show as "standalone".

In order to sync for the first time, it is neccessary to push all zone files up to the nameserver - this isnt possible without using the DNS option - "Sync dns records".

There are 2 options, "Sync all" and "Sync all local". Since "Sync all local" doesnt actually do anything - the only option is to "Sync all" which copies all records to both servers.

This is bad news.