The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intermittent logins failed/succeeded?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secret Agent, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Ok. Odd issue from a client (email below). I had not had this issue myself ever, was not able to duplicate nor received anyone else reporting such an issue, not once ever. Has anyone had such an issue as described below?

----
    Your system goes through periods where login authentication fails. This conditioin goes away after a time.

The longest we've seen it is appx 2 hours. Typical is 15 to 30 minutes.

I have personally seen it happen numerous times over the past 3 - 4 months. Not every day, not every week, but numerous times. And after I found out the problem is on your system and not my setup, I no longer spend time trying to debug -- I just wait a while and it goes away.

My other users have reported it so often that I now have a pre-written email saying the system does this, please wait a while and try again.

It happens on FTP and EMail but never seems to happen when I log in through CPanel. However, that's not a given because by the time I get to CPanel, the condition may have gone away already.

I have not changed any logins / passwords even after the system reports login/password is not right -- I just wait until the system comes back.

There is no possibility of typos causing this because the login/password is stored in Outlook and the FTP program.
    ----

I ran
    /scripts/fixcommonproblems
    /scripts/updateuserdomains
    /scripts/fixvaliases
    /scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/upcp --force (RELEASE)

I just cannot duplicate the issue. I even reset the password to the original, which was never changed since the original anyway (password change ability for client disabled as always was).

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Anything unique or different with their account?

wierd username (underscores or such)
    shared IP or dedicated?
    zone files match perfecly for their domain
    Have they tried via IP and not domainname
    proftp or pureftp?

??scratch head more??

3. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Thanks for the relpy.

Shared domain
    using 3rd party dns service (does propagate to proper IP) by DNS Made Easy
    username no special characters
    password no special characters
    Using ProFTP
    As for domain/IP login, not sure. Didn't clarify to me.