Introducing EasyApache’s Optimal Profiles

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have the optimal profiles been released yet? I'm not seeing them on the EasyApache page in our WHM.

The blog post - Introducing EasyApache - stated to look for these changes before the end of 2013. It's nearly June 2014 now. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something some where.

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have the optimal profiles been released yet? I'm not seeing them on the EasyApache page in our WHM.

The blog post - Introducing EasyApache - stated to look for these changes before the end of 2013. It's nearly June 2014 now. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something some where.
Hi sparek-3,

The optimal profiles are nearing completion. Please watch the EasyApache forums and our change log for the release announcements.

Thank you for your interest and please let us know if you have any additional questions about the new profiles!

vpswing

Jun 4, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

May I ask where are these profile files located? Each time I recompile, the httpd.conf still has references to 'php4' which I think should be removed (or at least, an option to remove) since I think nobody is using php4 anymore.

Is it possible for me to manually edit or make a copy of the 'configuration' file that does not reference php4?

Thanks,
Adrian

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

May I ask where are these profile files located? Each time I recompile, the httpd.conf still has references to 'php4' which I think should be removed (or at least, an option to remove) since I think nobody is using php4 anymore.

Is it possible for me to manually edit or make a copy of the 'configuration' file that does not reference php4?

Thanks,
Adrian
Hi Adrian,

These profiles have not been release yet, but are nearing completion. Please keep an eye out on the EasyApache forums and the EasyApache change log for the official release.

You are correct that httpd.conf still has references to PHP 4. These references remain in case an EasyApache admin wants to build and maintain PHP 4 on their own. Since PHP 4 is officially end of life we are no longer providing support, but have kept the legacy infrastructure in tact for users who still require it.

You are able to edit httpd.conf on your own, but we strongly suggest only doing so in a test environment or as an experience Apache admin.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about the new EasyApache profiles. For other questions like your PHP 4 inquiry please submit a new thread here in the EasyApache forums. This will help get the conversation out in the public where you'll get more insight and ideas.

Thanks again!

markb14391

Jun 9, 2008
Hi,

We currently run FCGI with eAccelerator. Is that configuration still viable with the CloudLinux Optimal Profile, or does the ITK replace the PHP handler?

Also, I saw reports of segfaults and other issues with some opcode caches. Are there any remaining issues like this?

Thanks!

4u123

PartnerNOC
Jan 2, 2006
Hi,

We currently run FCGI with eAccelerator. Is that configuration still viable with the CloudLinux Optimal Profile, or does the ITK replace the PHP handler?

Also, I saw reports of segfaults and other issues with some opcode caches. Are there any remaining issues like this?

Thanks!
From what I can tell so far, compiling with ITK will switch you back to DSO - but now that the web server process is running as the user, so is PHP. I'm guessing that there will be no need to change the users file permissions.
eAccelerator is not compatible with ITK but Xcache is.

I should add that while it is reasonable to assume that Easyapache should automatically set up ITK for CloudLinux if it is installed, this does not seem to be the case. You'd have to run the patch which can be found here...

http://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.html?mpm_itk_support.html

EDIT: I may be wrong about that, however CloudLinux documentation says that if you don't use their own Apache package, you need to run the patch - perhaps someone from cpanel can clarify?

If we intend to run ITK on an existing CL setup, is there anything else we need to do other than run EasyApache?

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
EDIT: I may be wrong about that, however CloudLinux documentation says that if you don't use their own Apache package, you need to run the patch - perhaps someone from cpanel can clarify?

If we intend to run ITK on an existing CL setup, is there anything else we need to do other than run EasyApache?
Hi 4u123,

We apply an Apache 2.2/ITK patch from CloudLinux in EasyApache. This patch is applied during an EasyApache build on CloudLinux when utilizing ITK.

Building with ITK on CloudLinux is as easy as running EasyApache and selecting the MPM ITK profile.

Thanks for the questions!

4u123

PartnerNOC
Jan 2, 2006
A customer has pointed out that since we switched to this MPM they are unable to get anything returned when using $_ENV

For example,
PHP:
echo $_ENV["DOCUMENT_ROOT"];
Returns nothing

But, using getenv works fine.

PHP:
$root = getenv("DOCUMENT_ROOT"); 
 Echo $root;
Edit: wanted to add that the php.ini setting "variables_order" is set correctly on this server to include "E" - the most common reason the ENV array comes up empty is because this is missing - so I wanted to clarify that this is not the problem here.

I'm hoping someone could take a couple of minutes to reproduce this issue.

markb14391

Jun 9, 2008
Also, I noticed that this profile disables mod_qos, which we use for DDoS protection. Is there a suggest replacement which is compatible with the profile?

KurtN.

Jan 29, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Also, I noticed that this profile disables mod_qos, which we use for DDoS protection. Is there a suggest replacement which is compatible with the profile?
The developers of ModQos (and EasyApache) explicitly state that ModQos should be used with MPM Worker.
EasyApache doesn't have any alternatives for this module at the moment.

4u123

PartnerNOC
Jan 2, 2006
I'm hoping someone who has switched to to ITK can confirm that $_ENV is not working with PHP 5.4

markb14391

Jun 9, 2008
Hmm, after compiling with the ITK profile, at the end of EasyApache the PHP handler is set to cgi. Shouldn't this default to DSO? Should I set it to DSO?

Or am I wrong in assuming that? Elsewhere in documentation it says that compiling with ITK will set your handler to CGI if you select ITK in the short options list. Not sure what that would matter.

Which is correct?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

markb14391

Jun 9, 2008
Hmm, found more info in some deep deep undercover cPanel documentation. ;-)

CGI

The CGI handler provides the version of PHP you select through mod_cgi or mod_cgid. If you enable suEXEC, you will be able to see which virtual host has made the PHP request. A virtual host allows you to host multiple domains from a single IP address. The owner of a virtual host will be the same as the account name. However, if you disable suEXEC, your server will serve the PHP request as the nobody user.

We recommend that you only use the CGI PHP handler if you are unable to use any of the other PHP handlers, or if you build EasyApache with the MPM ITK option. Unless you use MPM ITK, this method is not fast nor secure, regardless of whether you enable suEXEC.
So it looks like CGI is what we're supposed to use? I'd still like further confirmation if possible.

Thanks!

Mark

markb14391

Jun 9, 2008
I asked the same question in a cPanel ticket. Here was the reply:

I would recommend that you update your handler and I believe that DSO with mod_ruid2 would be a good handler for the MPM ITK Profile.
???

4u123

PartnerNOC
Jan 2, 2006
I asked the same question in a cPanel ticket. Here was the reply:

???
When I used the ITK profile it set the PHP handler to DSO automatically.

I'm scrapping this idea. I've just looked at the compatibility matrix on the CloudLinux website and it shows if you use ITK, or Ruid2 there is no memory limiting functionality, or PHP selector.

CloudLinux Documentation

There doesn't seem to be one configuration that allows for all the features of Cloudlinux / CageFS, plus a faster running PHP environment that doesn't require a lot of extra work, or that doesn't cause problems with the end user.

I'm staying with prefork / suPHP as this has always been the most stable under CloudLinux.

markb14391

Jun 9, 2008
Yeah. CL told me that some of their documentation is a bit outdated, and their new mod_lsapi does fully support MPM ITK. However I'm not sure if that means that some of the other limitations are still in place, or all resolved.

Based on the lack of info about this, and the lack of consistent info from cPanel, we're also staying away from MPM ITK. We've been using FastCGI with MPM worker (so we can benefit from opcode caching), so we'll stay with that for now.

Not impressed with the MPM ITK profile rollout, lack of consistent info from cPanel, lack of reliable responses from cPanel, etc. (I mean, telling me to use DSO WITH mod_ruid2 WITH MPM ITK...)