Invalid Address in Horde after Email Restoration

ebizindia

Oct 13, 2005
Kolkata, India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have a peculiar problem. This relates to a server, say server.example.com

A client [email protected] had deleted a few emails through Horde and therefore wanted a backup restore without losing the new emails.

I rsynced the files from the cur folder in the backup to the cur folder in his email location (/home/$domainuser/mail/example.com/user/cur). I also ran /scripts/mailperm $cpaneluser, just in case. I have also done this:

/scripts/generate_maildirsize --confirm --allaccounts --verbose $USER (Replace $user with the cpanel user name)

Now I can see the missing emails using Configserver Mail manage. However, when I access the emails through Horde, I get a long list of mails with From as "Invalid address" and Subject as "No subject". On clicking the email, there is apopup saying "Imap error reported by the server."

Do I need to run some other script to get Horde and Imap in sync?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

It's possible the mail data you manually restored uses a different mailbox storage format. Could you verify what's configured under the "The mailbox storage format for new accounts" option under the "Mail" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings"?

Thank you.

ebizindia

Oct 13, 2005
Kolkata, India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It is Maildir and has been so for a long time. I added the emails from a recent backup only.

Also, Configserver Mail Manage shows all the emails correctly. Only Horde fails to show them properly.

Do you think opening a cpanel support ticket might help?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

smartifyGR

Registered
Jan 23, 2020
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi!

Just experienced the same issue! A user accidentally deleted a few mailboxes from his inbox. Restored them manually from full backup, by uploading "dovecot.index.log" and "dovecot.index.log" after recreating the missing mailbox folder and its dbox-Mails folder. All items are there with Invalid address/no subject/unknown date 0kB size.

Any help??

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@iamkenrocks - are you seeing the same behavior as the previous posters? I don't see that a case was ever opened as we had not confirmed the behavior, so if you're able to reproduce this problem it might be best to open a ticket with our team so we could examine the server directly.

iamkenrocks

Registered
Jan 20, 2021
philippines
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@iamkenrocks - are you seeing the same behavior as the previous posters? I don't see that a case was ever opened as we had not confirmed the behavior, so if you're able to reproduce this problem it might be best to open a ticket with our team so we could examine the server directly.

It is gone now, we had to re-run rsync yesterday. Thanks mate.

Reactions: cPRex