The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid CSRs generated with cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mholt, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mholt

mholt Registered

After talking to my SSL provider and web host representatives, I thought I'd open this issue to the community. Searching has yielded few results and only apply to older versions of cPanel.

Today I went to generate a CSR using cPanel's CSR manager. It gave me some cryptic error message that I deciphered. The first time, I used a password that was too complex. So I toned it down and just used a random sequence of letters, numbers, and an underscore in the middle somewhere. It was 20 bytes - the maximum size, apparently.

My SSL provider didn't take the CSR. It contained invalid characters (specifically the "/" character in several spots), according to the automated error message. A live support rep told me the same thing and to contact my host. All three parties verified the validity of the CSR I entered, other than that "/" character in it.

I did this and my web host looked into the issue. They suggested a simpler, less secure password to see what would happen. So, I toned it down to 15 characters with just letters and numbers.

The CSR still contained the invalid "/" character, but when I ran it through the SSL provider, it worked.

So ... I don't know what the deal is. At least now I have a CSR that worked, but what caused it to glitch out before? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. mholt

mholt Registered

I'm not one to bump threads, but it's been quite a while now and this is a bit of a concern for me. Someone tell me I'm not the only one having this issue...?

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SSL Certificate passwords can only contain letters and numbers. Where in the CSR was the / after you simplified your password?