The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid maildirsize file! Why?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pagedeveloping, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pagedeveloping

pagedeveloping Well-Known Member

Invalid maildirsize file! comes up and I do the following to fix this but it keeps coming back everytime I upgrade the quota on any email account.

find /home/*/mail/ -name maildirsize | xargs rm -f

/scripts/generate_maildirsize --force --allaccounts

It does generate a new file but it does not seem to be working to solve my problem because my clients are still getting errors when trying to send an email.

I am using the latest release version of cpanel 11.

am I the only one with this problem? I had did a search and only found one case in this forum.

Thank you for any input on this issue...

2. pagedeveloping

Invalid maildirsize file! Again???????

OK this is getting to be rediculuos!

I reset it and it goes away for a couple weeks and when I update a mailbox to give it more quota it comes right back. Invalid maildirsize file!

I am using cpanel 11 latest release.

Why is this still haunting me?????

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Two things come to mind, which may or may not apply in your situation:

1. We recently resolved a bug where clearing the spam box wouldn't always recalculate the maildirsize - fix is in Current and Edge only ATM

2. There are a few race conditions existing in the courier version that is currently available in Release (4.0.4-4cp). The version in Current and Edge (4.1.2-3cp) has those fixed.

Both will be resolved in Release once a new Release build is published.

4. pagedeveloping

Thank You cpanelkenneth for the reply..

Im guesing that this issue has to do with the maildir file itself.
    this only happens to accounts whos email account are up to 500mbs.
    We do not use the spam box option on my server.
    We have the spam discared and just delete those that where able to pass through.

Here's the problem.

If I go to update an email accounts quota even before they are maxed I get the Invalid maildirsize file!
    This does not happen to other accounts that are under 250mbs. On the same domain with the issue only exist on one account and not the other.

example for two sepperate domains:
    one domain has an email account that is over 2GBs and if I update their quota to 3GBs
    I get the Invalid maildirsize file!
    I have to delete their maildir file and create a new than it will allow me to change to 3GBs
    BUT, they still have problems with errors inside their squirrel mail telling them that they can not send email because they are over quota. The funy thing is that it will still send out the email. The only way I could get rid of the errors was to give that email account unlimited email.

Another domain with the same problem but with only 600mbs email account. I had to do the same thing with that account and give unlimited email to get rid of the errors inside squirrel mail.

I have even removed the cPanel squirrel Mail version 1.4.9a and replaced it with 1.4.10a thinking that the errors was from a corrupted file. I am still getting the errors even with the updated squirrel mail. giving unlimited email seems to resolve these two issues I am having for the moment until I can figure out what is going wrong here.

5. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's not generally recommended, but you could attempt upgrading the Courier RPMs to see if the bug fixes in them resolve your issue. To do this:

1. Switch your cPanel branch to Current (I do this in /etc/cpupdate.conf: CPANEL=current)
    2. Execute /scripts/courierup --verbose
    3. touch /etc/courierupdisable
    4. Return your cPanel branch to Release

Step 3 will prevent cPanel from reverting your Courier RPMs to the ones tagged for the Release branch. Please note that the Courier RPMs may depend upon certain functionality only in Current and Edge.

EDIT:

And you you do this, please remember to remove the /etc/courierupdisable file once the Courier RPMs are placed into the Release branch.

#5 cPanelKenneth, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. pagedeveloping

Thank You cpanelkenneth for your suggestions.

I have been thinking about jumping up to current to see if it will fix this issue. At the moment, setting the emails with the problem to unlimited seems to working "Knock on PC"

If the problem should come back to haunt me before the next release I will try your suggestion and hope it will be a temp fix for the time being.

Thank you for your support!

Regards,

Peter

7. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are drawing close to publishing a cPanel 11 Stable build. We may publish another Release build in the interim. I'll add a note to make certain the new Courier RPMs are tagged for at least Release branch so you hopefully won't need to jump to Current.

If you do make the jump to Current, I recommend you read the changelog (changelog.cpanel.net) and talk with others that are running Current. There are many, many changes between the two, especially for Resellers. Not all of the info is in the changelog, we are currently working on filling in the missing data, but it's one of many, many tasks.

You are welcome, and I hope the maildirsize problems go away for you. They are very, very annoying for all.

8. crazyaboutlinux

crazyaboutlinux Well-Known Member

I had same problem too but i just Ran : /scripts/generate_maildirsize --force --allaccounts

And My problem solved

But i still wanted to know
    about this find /home/*/mail/ -name maildirsize | xargs rm -f

And also you can following for your problem , as i had same problem & it did resolved

Found that it was a resultant of the courier maildirsize file of the email account is corrupted. You need to find the file and delete it. It should be found in the mail folder

mail/domanname.com/emailaccountname/

It would recreate the file automatically when the email account is accessed with the correct quota size.

Regards,
    Nilesh

#8 crazyaboutlinux, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The thread was last updated in August of 2007. Significant changes have been made to the maildirsize system since then. It is no longer necessary to use the find command to locate the maildirsize files and pass them as arguments to rm using xargs. Normally, /scripts/generate_maildirsize will correct any problems with corrupt or missing maildirsize files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.