Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Invalid Shared Virtual Host IPv6 Address value error

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by OzyPhil, Mar 16, 2019.

1. OzyPhil

OzyPhil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello

May I Join here in having the same issue with WHM. Only I have done other steps so I will list them below.

Firstly my Dedicated server has just been configured by my machine provider to work with IPv6 and has provided me with Ipv6 gateway and /64.

I have enabled IPv6 tweaks settings>system.
    I have created my ranges using an online convertor so there is no mistakes with overlapping IP's and I have reserved my Gateway IPv6 IP so it doesn't get used by the system. I have also created a single IPv6 /128 specifically for this WHM Shared requests.

I have done all the DNS settings for ns/mx/A/AAAA etc and allocated my sites with an IPv6 address through WHM settings.

I can ping6 anyone and all my sites as well no issues what so ever.
    MXlookup can find my Ipv6 sites no problems.

My ONLY problem is getting WHM to accept the IPv6 IP address as every attempt says (Invalid Shared Virtual Host IPv6 Address value:) THIS ADDRESS IS NOT BOUND TO THIS SERVER when every other check list site on the internet accepts it and can find it and knows it's my server WHM who is installed on my server says it isn't correct.

PLEASE WHM/cpanel guys I have read everything and wasted a whole week on this and I know it isn't me that made a mistake because everything works as it should.

I could be wrong here but I feel the WHM settings somewhere are not understanding what to actually look for or not reading the created IP in the ranges settings.
    Also as it is unclear as to exactly which method the IPv6 address should be entered whether it is gdt5:6te5:gf68:hytr::/64 or without the /64 (i know the letters are wrong but this is a fake IP anyway) thus being the whole IPv6 address including al the 0's and I have tried both and end up with the same results.

Can you please help solve this problem so I can get on with my life (polity speaking) so I get on with other things.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

#1 OzyPhil, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @OzyPhil

Do you get an ipv6 return when you run the following:

Code:
     ip a
    As well as attempt to ping over ipv6:
    Code:
    ping6 ipv6.google.com
    Can you also let me know what kind of platform you're running on? Is it a hardware server or VM? If it is a VM is it virtuozzo?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OzyPhil

OzyPhil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Lauren

Yes I get IPv6 detail when doing (ip a) and also get google pings as well and have taken screenshots of both.

Now although I know my IPv6 address there are a couple there I am not understanding as I am getting reading back from (eth0, eth1 and lo). as changing these IP's for public viewing wouldn't help identify the issue may I ask if you have a private box I could send you these screenshots in or you can send me an email to my public email address - Removed -. (you can delete this email once you read it) with the name in the subject so I know it's you.

Cheers

PS.
    I forgot the platform. Here it is below.
    Firstly it is a dedicated self managed server.

I run centos7 version
    Operating System: CloudLinux 7.6 (Vladimir Lyakhov)
    CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:cloudlinux:cloudlinux:7.6:GA:server
    Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.24.9.el7.x86_64
    Architecture: x86-64

Installed is Cloudlinux/cPanel/WHM

server runs in 2 raids being 1 and 10.

Hope this helps

#3 OzyPhil, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Please feel free to attach the image(s) to a new post in this thread after obfuscating any real details like full IP address, emails, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OzyPhil

OzyPhil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK

The white lines are my Ipv4 address, the blue lines are my IPv6 address and the yellow lines are another IPv6 address which I am finding out about from my server host and the other image is the google ping6 results.

Cheers and thank you

Attached Files:

6. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This was perfect, If this was misconfigured in the way I was trying to rule out none of the ipv6 data would be shown or responding.
    Can you please open a ticket using the link in my signature? Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!

7. OzyPhil

OzyPhil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Lauren

The ticket has been created

Thank You

8. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  9. OzyPhil

OzyPhil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello And I thank cPanel and yourself for your help.

Having said this I had tried exactly this same thing only it never worked when I then contacted by server host and told him to triple check the IPv6 network settings in which he found yesterday problems and fixed them which then led to the issue I described in my support notes which in turn made what I had done incorrect which you guys fixed for me.

I have read documentation before many times and did follow it but as stated above the issue was beyond my control it the network settings from the server admin end where incorrect to start with (noting I told them many times and they inseisted they were not incorrect) Anyway what this document does lack is a couple of details which I have been looking for online and also can't find. No one can actually say exactly how to create, get, arrange and setup[ ranges anywhere.

I was given a /64 IPv6 IP address and when I look it up this type of IP has some thousands (No. of host: 18446744073709551616 - to be exact) of IP's allocated to it which leads/led me to believe these ranges could be created from the /64 into different other /'s-numbers containing various amounts of IP address which could then be used within different websites or as an example allocated to resellers or other domain hosted sites on my server.

Having done the range check using UltraTools it shows I can divide my /64 into different ranges and these are accepted in the ranges section of WHM so technically now this should work YES.

Cheers

cPanelLauren likes this.