The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

invalid url being executed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guardian2004, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Guardian2004

Guardian2004 Registered

I'm seeing some very odd behaviour and wondered if anyone else can reproduce this or offer a solution as it is absolutely driving me around the bend.

With any script that is using php I can enter anything I want after www.example.com/index.php and php will execute it like a valid url with no errors reported at all.
    For example, say we have the domain www.example.com that has one file in the root directory (index.php) and no other directories or files whatsoever.
    I can complete nonesense into the brwoser and it gets executed without any errors at all
    examples;
    www.example.com/index.php/index.php
    www.example.com.index.php////////////
    www.example.com/index.php/whatever-i-want/
    www.example.com/2004/04/

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Is it a problem with my server configuration?

2. Guardian2004

Guardian2004 Registered

I am having difficulty believing no one else has experienced this problem which is probably due to a server mis configuration.
    Even google has indexed links for it if you search for 'index.php/index.php'

Does anyone know of a way in htaccess to prevent traversal of non existance directories?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand what the problem is. Does the index.php file display as normal with each of those examples? If so, then that's completely normal behaviour.

4. simplestar

simplestar Well-Known Member