The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investigating transport errors

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by dazeck, Aug 7, 2016.

1. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been having trouble recently with the backups failing to be transported to my home NAS box via WebDav so I switched over to FTP to see if that's any better. It's a little better but I still get an email every day saying files failed to transfer but at least now it doesn't disable the transport method like it does with WebDav.

Is there anywhere I can look to see why some files are failing. Note, they are part uploaded to the FTP server so something is dropping the connection and as far as I can see from the logs on my NAS Box, it isn't my NAS Box dropping connection. I've tried extending the timeout but I still get at least 2 failures every day so need to know where to start investigating the issue.

Darren

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This directory contains the cPanel Backup Transporter's log files:

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup_transporter/

Do you notice any specific error messages when the backup to the destination fails?

Thank you.

3. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK I'm getting timeouts, but not sure which timeout value it is using.

[2016-08-08 02:26:38 +0100] info [cpbackup_transporter] Upload attempt #1 starting for /backup/2016-08-08/accounts/xxxxxx.tar.gz to /VPSBackups/2016-08-08/xxxxxx.tar.gz for destination: FTP Home
    [2016-08-08 03:11:36 +0100] warn [cpbackup_transporter] Upload attempt failed: time out reached

As you can see from the 2 log entries, it's over half an hour before it times out, the timeout value on the destination is 120 seconds (described as The time to wait for a response from the remote server, valued in seconds.)

So it seems there is a different timeout value somewhere, this particular account's tar file is 2.2Gb in size and it's being sent to my home NAS box so may take a while. How can I extend this timeout value ?

Thanks
    Darren

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Great work on noticing the amount of time it took from the upload attempt to the upload failure. It looks to be right at 45 minutes, which suggests you have "2700" entered on the following option in "WHM >> Backup Configuration":

Maximum destination timeout in seconds

Could you try increasing this value from "2700" to something higher to see if the issue persists?

Thank you.

5. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Oh, that's easy, I didn't realise that also incorporated the time for the transfer. I've doubled it for now. Is the 2700 seconds for the complete backup all accounts and perform all transfers ?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's the maximum number of seconds to allow a backup process to upload a single backup file or restore a single backup file. Let us know if increasing the value addresses the problem.

Thanks!

7. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm getting some strange results. I doubled the time to 5400 seconds so it's now 1 and half hours. Backup process started 02:02:32 and first errored at 03:31:07 with a timeout error uploading account 6, it tried 3 times and then continued with the other accounts before erroring with a file already exists (I will have to investigate this)

I am going to double it again to 10800 now and see what happens.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you verify if this resolved the problem?

Thank you.

9. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It helped, but I've had a few issues over the past few days. It is now failing to prune ?!? As I switched between Webdav and FTP and back to Webdav I have decided to remove all backups from my remote NAS box and start again. It successfully backed up last night and should do tonight but I'll find out the following day if the prune works or fails.

The timings were all out though, I'd get a timeout xx minutes from the start of the backup routine (where xx was the timeout value set against the backup), even if it was part way through uploading an account that was 12Mb in size so I'm not sure the timeout relates to a single account.

10. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'll have to log a support ticket for this, it's just not reliable. Overnight it uploaded 2 and a bit files before then giving an authentication failed error. Previous to that it uploaded everything but wouldn't prune the older backup folders.

11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  12. dazeck

dazeck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Oh Yes, forgot. Ticket Number 7633771