The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible file after server move

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by panit, Apr 7, 2015.

1. panit

panit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    My accounts were migrated from one server to another in order to upgrade Linux. Many of the clients on the server have a program installed that checks files in their accounts for security reasons. After the move, they all reported seeing a file by the name of session_mm_cgi-fcgi566.sem. My host says this is a file used by cpanel during migration. The problem is that the file is not actually there or, at least, it cannot be seen.

I wrote a short script that just reads the files in the directory and that file shows in the results. But if I look at the directory in a file manager, it isn't there. My host doesn't see a way to stop it from showing up. Do you have any idea how to get rid of this, or at least hide it?

2. madmanmachines

madmanmachines Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should check the file is not hidden by having a '.' prepended to the file name. You should also check the permissions/ownerships of the file. I would recommend doing so from SSH. Also note, that you may have disabled viewing hidden files in the cPanel file manager. You may try simply moving the file out of the way to see if it is recreated. This is obviously a file pertaining to the FCGI PHP handler. Did you ensure all server configurations were replicated on new server during the migration?

Thanks,

3. panit

panit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I can view hidden files so that isn't the cause. If I use a file manager or shell to list the files, this file doesn't show up. But if I run a php script to open the directory and list the files, it is listed. If I could move it, I would. But I can't find it. It isn't where the script is saying it is. As for the configuration, the old server has been turned off but as far as I know the settings are the same.

4. panit

panit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Just in case someone else runs across this, this is what my host finally found:

That behaviour was related to a bug in PHP. You had a custom php.ini file which didn't have the session.save_path directive and temporary files were saved in the current directory rather than /tmp which is the default location.

Thank you for the suggestions.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator