The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

invision powerboard update - yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyberspirit, Nov 30, 2003.

?

Is it important to you that cpanel updates Invision Powerboard soon?

1. Yes, I would like to be able to offer my customers current versions

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. No, I do not really care because I use other bulletin board software

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No, I do not use bulletin board software at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I do not care

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Invision Powerboard is part of the software packages cpanel comes with. But for some reason cpanel has not updated the bundled version to 1.2 which came out in June and 1.3 which just came out. Fantastico has the new version integrated with cpanel without a problem so it seems cpanel either does not want to upgrade Invision Powerboard, does not care or has problems doing so.
    PhpBB in comparions has been updated to some degree regularly.
    So the question is how important is it for you that cpanel updates Invision Powerboard?
    Do you have customers that are asking for the new version?

2. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Well buy fantasico, or install it for your clients. I doubt there are really that many who needed it.

3. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Silversurfer,
    Buying or installing fantastico is not really the point here since I have it. It was an example that the new versions work well together. The point is that software that is part and has been part of the cpanel distribution should be kept current and updated. And Invision is already two versions further down then what cpanel has included.
    This is also a safety and security issue since as we all know older versions mostly have more issue in that perspective.

4. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

bump

5. Huminie

Huminie Member

Personally, I like to work with phpBB, and I always install the latest version from scratch when setting up a new board.

However, I think that if cPanel is going to offer the software to be included as part of the package, they should make reasonable attempts to keep that software up to date. As you mention, this is not just for new "luxury" features, but newer versions almost always patch security holes.

I think if you are installing automatically through cPanel, you can't always expected the absolute latest and greatest, but you should expect something decent that is stable and secure (ie, not more than one or two versions ago).

6. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

This whole issue is really unbelievable. I guess for the cpanel folks updating software to current versions is only done if requested as a feature request.
    Honestly, I have never heard such a thing. From a security standpoint this is outrageous!

Here is the cpanel response to my inquiry back in September:

--------------------
    Please submit this as a Feature Request.

Thank you.
    --

Kyle Pinkley
    kyle@cpanel.net
    Customer Support Representative
    cPanel, Inc.

ticket 23305

#6 cyberspirit, Dec 6, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  7. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Feature request? Ugh, this software is used by many on the server and should be up to date secured if offered through cpanel.

8. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Yeah, but would you rather the Cpanel team spend time checking lots of third party sites to see if a new release came out or spend the time bugfixing/enhancing Cpanel.

However, if you open an "enhancement request" via http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/ at least they'll now be aware of the new software/upgrade release and might be able to give an indication of when it'll be upgradable in the Cpanel software.

Failing that, you could just "roll your own" Addon Script containing InvisionBoard and replace the existing one (or use Fantastico or SourceMatrix or...)