Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invitations and Events in Thunderbird/Lightning with cPanel CalDAV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guygreg2, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. guygreg2

guygreg2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have been using Lightning and CalDAV for some years, mostly trouble-free. When we moved to a new host, we decided to stop using Baikal as the CalDAV server and take advantage of the built-in CalDAV server in cPanel.

We have run into two problems related to events/invitations, and I don't know how to fix them:

1. When a person gets an invitation and accepts it, an email is generated and sent to every other participant. If they so much as change the reminder time, or get the reminder and choose to snooze for some period...yep, a whole nother round of emails is sent out.

This was not happening with the Baikal server. I have gone into Horde, and done Preferences|Calendar|Notifications, and set "Choose if you want to be notified of new, edited, and deleted events by email:" to NO. I checked the box for "Don't send me a notification if I've added, changed or deleted the event?"

I remember in older versions of Thunderbird/Lightning, you were asked whether you wanted to send out notifications to the other participants, but there's no longer an option there for that, I guess it's expected to be set on the server now. People are quickly getting annoyed at the flood of emails surrounding rescheduling of a simple meeting.

2. The second thing is that these notifications show YOU as the organizer (whoever YOU is)--so that every copy of T-bird shows that person as the event organizer. That's bad enough for an in-house event but looks weird when we're responding to a client event that they set up.

We are on Thunderbird 45.8.0 (current release)--mostly on Win 7 though some people may have Win 10.
    Horde Groupware 5.2.14
    uname -a
    Linux 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 3 00:04:05 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas how to fix either of these? I think we're going to be in trouble if I can't fix these issues quickly.

#1 guygreg2, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  2. guygreg2

guygreg2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Forgot this bit:

grep '' /etc/redhat-release /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype ; grep CPANEL= /etc/cpupdate.conf ; httpd -v ; php -v ; mysql -V
    /etc/redhat-release:CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
    /usr/local/cpanel/version:11.62.0.17
    /var/cpanel/envtype:kvm
    CPANEL=release
    Server version: Apache/2.4.25 (cPanel)
    Server built: Mar 20 2017 15:23:03
    ea-php-cli Copyright 2016 cPanel, Inc.
    PHP 5.6.30 (cli) (built: Mar 22 2017 18:13:01)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2016 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2016 Zend Technologies
    mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.35, for Linux (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

These seem to be issues with Thunderbird as opposed to how CalDAV is implemented server-side. You can report issues related to Thunderbird at:

Bugzilla Main Page

I believe the second issue you referenced already has an existing case open:

1217505 - CALDAV - event organizer with a read-write subscribed calendar

Thank you.

4. guygreg2

guygreg2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you. Since my first post, I have done some more research and I actually think it is this issue:
    Tickets :: [#13664] accept event to Horde CalDAV calendar from Thunderbird Lightning parses Attendees
    Tickets :: [#13790] Kronolith sets attendee as organizer when accepting through mailclient
    I have posted the comment on the Thunderbird forum as well:
    Using Lightning with CalDAV on cPanel--any way to ... - Mozilla Support Community

What is described under those Horde tickets is exactly what we experience, so I think it's an issue with Horde and can't be resolved by cPanel or Thunderbird. Fortunately there IS a workaround: when you get an email with an invitation you want to accept, open it in cPanel webmail (using Horde). You'll be able to accept or decline via a pulldown and button, and doing it that way doesn't trigger the bug.

cPanelMichael likes this.