The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS Email login fails consistantly

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JSauce16, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JSauce16

JSauce16 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yesterday afternoon I noticed hundreds of Delivery Failure messages flowing in with thousands of email addresses listed as attempted. Of course, I did not send any of these emails. The error was something about a maximum of 150 emails would be send per hr. There was a spammy looking attachment as well...

These emails appeared on my iPhone and in my Roundcube web mail. I thought that I had been hacked so I changed my email password. The emails stopped.

However, now, I can login to webmail with my new username and password, but all other devices fail, despite updating my password, deleted my account on my iPhone, and re-adding. I've tried changing the password several times nothing works.

Despite driving myself crazy I cannot login from my iPhone. However web mail works. My web host was unable to figure out the issue. I am hoping someone here can help me. I have verified all setting dozens of times, including using the autoconfig. It is always the "The user name or password for "Account Name" is incorrect." error.

As mentioned, everything was previously fine until yesterday when the messages started rolling in and I changed my password. Since then, no matter how many times I change my password in cPanel for that email account I always fail on iOS, but always can get in through web mail.

Does anyone have a clue what in the world may be going on? Could the server be blocking by device from connecting? My web host could've resolve, so I'm hoping someone can let me know what to tell them to fix the issue.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I think there is infected file added under your account which is sending mails. Can you please scan your account data with maldet and clamav help with your we hosting provider and check scan result.

3. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ask your host to check their firewall if it has blocked you.

After that you can ask them to check the logs to see if they notice any login failure from your side.

The logs will indicate whether its a login failure or a configuration issue in your iOS, which can sometimes screw up things with the auto config.

4. JSauce16

JSauce16 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So it looks like my email address was "graylisted" which the first service rep at my hosting provider failed to uncover. Instead took the easy route and said "it must be an iOS issue"

I am still concerned though that there was malware installed or a hack by which thousands of spam emails were send from my account.

Am I able to run this through cPanel? Not sure how to go about this, but I really want to scan to make sure there isn't malware...

5. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your email account being graylisted won't prevent you from logging in.

Most probably your IP address is blocked. If you are using WiFi, then switch to Phone Data or vice versa to see if it connects from another IP. Try the same connection as the machine on which webmail works.

Your host holds the key to determining the problem, by simply looking at their logs.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Ask your hosting provider to review the /var/log/maillog file while you attempt to login to see the specific login failure message. It's possible the IP address is blocked by a firewall rule or by cPHulk brute force detection.

As for security, you can review the files under your account to see if there's anything that you didn't upload, or to see if any files have been modified from their original state.

Thank you.