The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP address instead of domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tripchord, Nov 5, 2004.

1. tripchord

tripchord Registered

A client of mine bought a hosting package from me, but due to them being unsure on a domain name they wanted me to set up an account by IP only. They want the space to work on their site and in the future buy a domain name. Is there a way to create an account with an IP address instead of a domain name in WHM?

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    just create for him a sample domain as abcdef.com. later you can change this. also he can develop his site as well as access it as htt://ip/~username/

the only problem will be while using frontpage; which requires a domain. else all is fine.

3. tripchord

tripchord Registered

Thank you, but I have one concern. In the past when I changed the domain name to something else for a client, everything got messed for that account. That is why I was hesitant to create a temporary domain

4. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

I believe that the error in changing a domain name was only in changing the domain name of a reseller account... since, that has been disabled. I've recently changed the domain name using both of the last 2 Stable Releases with no problems.