The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Address of emails issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PDW, Feb 9, 2016.

1. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

Sorry threat title got messed up - Meant to say IP address not staying original when emails forwarding to gmail.

Ok, migrated to a CentOS 7 server and now have the latest version of Cpanel.
    Old server on WHM 11.52.3 (build 1) new server on WHM 54.0 (build 12)

Old server - No problems at all. ie user@gmail.com sends email to me@mydomain.com and that is forward to me@gmail.com and it goes into inbox.

New server - user@gmail.com sends email to me@mydomain.com and that is forwards to me@gmail.com and it goes into spam. Looking at headers it is marked spam because the IP address in headers is "my IP" even though sent by some other user @gmail and not using their IP. So IP's do not match.

This happens to all email forwarded to gmail account on new server. Does not happen on older server.

Any suggestions on how to fix this. Users do not want to have to sit in spam folder to get their email.

Note: Changed some details to not match my server for security reasons.
    But 104.197.xxx.xxx - is where my server IP is, not Gmail or sender IP.
    This email was sent to vewire@example.com (not lsited in headers anywhere and is what the IP of server 104.197.xxx.xxx is)

Code:
    Delivered-To: someusr@gmail.com
    Received: by 10.112.xx.xxx with SMTP id j1csp2400846lbr;
            Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:03:31 -0800 (PST)
    X-Received: by 10.60.zx.xxx with SMTP id h9mr34178477oek.52.1455069811264;
            Tue, 09 Feb 2016 18:03:31 -0800 (PST)
    Return-Path: <otberusr@gmail.com>
    Received: from host.domain.com (host.domain.com. [104.197.xxx.xxx])
            by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id c205si572602oif.139.2016.02.09.18.03.31
            for <someusr@gmail.com>
            (version=TLS1 cipher=AES128-SHA bits=128/128);
            Tue, 09 Feb 2016 18:03:31 -0800 (PST)
    Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning soneotherusr@gmail.com does not designate 104.197.xxx.xxxx as permitted sender) client-ip=104.197.xxx.xxx;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
           spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning soneusr@gmail.com does not designate 104.197.xxx.xxx as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=soneusr@gmail.com;

#1 PDW, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
  2. Pushpendra_iserver

Pushpendra_iserver Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As per the reply it looks like this is an issue with DNS record.

SPF records are not created properly.

To deliver successfully in any public domain you have to take care of SPF, DKIM and rDNS records.

3. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I think it ended up being a server issue at the data center. We ended up with brand new domain names being bllack listed with 0 email accounts, and 0 files on it and a tight server not allowing any unauthorized email to be allowed. i threw int he towl and canceled the move and went back to the original server and no problems at all. I guess Ill look at migrating a few more months down the line when i have more time to deal with it and the new domain names get cleared from spamhaus

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see you were able to address the issue. Ensure you review the SRS documentation in the link from my last response, as it's regarding SPF records in forwarded emails.

Thank you.