The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Deny - block e-mails also?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by onaweb, Oct 28, 2005.

1. onaweb

onaweb Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I'm having a problem with a virus that keeps sending me e-mails. Its the one that comes from admin@ or webmaster@ and says something like we have updated your password or your account has been suspended, please view the attached file for more information thank you, the support team and its a zip file attached. My problem isn't that I'm infected, but that someone else who has visited my site or has my e-mail address in their addressbook is. Every 30 seconds to 1 minute, I am receiving a bounce back that george@ or john@ doesn't exist. I placed the IP in the IP deny manager thinking that it would also block the e-mails but they are still coming through. I just want the bounces to stop. I also thought that if it was one of my clients, they would try to go to my site and be blocked and end up calling me and I could tell them that they have a virus.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, you cannot do that through cPanel. You can block IP addresses in exim in the ACL section of the configuration, or in your iptables firewall.

If you're and end-user, you should speak to your web hosting provider.

3. onaweb

onaweb Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Then what is the point of the IP Deny Manager if it doesn't allow an end-user to block an IP, it says This feature will allow you to block a range of IP addresses to prevent them from accessing your site. You can also enter a fully qualified domain name, and the IP Deny Manager will attempt to resolve it to an IP address for you.

I'm not an end-user, but I'm trying to do this as an end-user as I also get requests such as this from clients and it would be better if they could do this by themselves.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The IP Deny feature is solely for apache.

You might be able to effectively block via IP address for emails by using an appropriate exim filter.