Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

IP Migrations Wizard - 2 issues observed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SactoBob, Jun 17, 2019.

1. SactoBob

SactoBob Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm in the process of migrating website IPs (both shared and dedicated) to a new subnet on the same server. I've run into 2 issues so far.

First issue, and most critical. I found migrating customers that manage their own DNS externally (ie, godaddy, network solutions,etc) breaks their website. cPanel display the default webpage of: "SORRY! If you are the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider: ------------
    It is possible you have reached this page because:...."

When I looked at the httpd.conf files the old/new IPs look like they are properly configured. Shouldn't the site respond on both old/new IP regardless of who holds the DNS? This broke about 30 websites and had me scrambling to contact customers on a less than desirable time frame.

Second issue, which was easily fixed. One customer's 3rd party SSL certificate was uninstalled! When they notified me, I went to their control panel and sure enough the "install" button was clickable. It was an easy fix, but why did the SSL cert get uninstalled?

I have another server to renumber and would like to get an idea of what's happening here before I move forward with the other server/subnet. I tried opening a ticket when this issue was noticed, but it was a 16 hour wait so ended up taking care of it by completing the migration and calling customers.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If a customer is hosting their DNS externally it means that their DNS is NOT hosted on your server, which means they're using an A record pointing to a specific IP address to point their domain to your server. When you change the IP address on your server in this instance the user must manually change the IP the A record is pointed to, changes on your server whether you use the IP migration wizard or not, in this case, will not have any effect because the domain's DNS is not managed by you.

I've not seen this behavior before nor do I know why it was uninstalled for an IP change of this nature. The only thing I can think of is that during the process to update the internal data files or Apache Configuration there was an error. This would have been noted in the output during the migration process. You might check the cPanel error log for the time during which this was completed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...