The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarkM1, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MarkM1

MarkM1 Registered

Hi there,

I am just in the process now of figuring out how to setup a new dedicated server I am renting that uses WHM/cpanel. I have been trying to educate myself online about IP addresses but seem to be confusing myself more than I am helping. Just wondering if someone here can let me know if I am on the right track.

My understanding so far is as follows: My server has a private (10.28.xxx.xxx) and a public (173.192.xxx.xxx) IP address. In addition, they have assigned eight additional IP addresses for my use (173.192.xxx.xxx). In going through the WHM setup wizard, I also added a bunch of private IP addresses in the form of 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254.

My next step is that I want to create some cpanel accounts for the various domains that I want to use. I created a test account and checked the "dedicated IP" box. WHM assigned this account to one of the private 192.168.0.80) addresses. I also created a test account without the dedicated IP box checked and it assigned it to my main private (10.28.xxx.xxx) address.

I guess my main question/issue, is that I am not sure what the advantages are to using a dedicated vs undedicated IP. Secondly, I am not sure I understand the point of having the additional 173.192.xxx.xxx IP addresses if I can just create a virtually unlimited number of 192.168.x.x addresses and use those as dedicated. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?

Appologize for the length of post and newb-ness of the topic! :)

Thanks!

2. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Firstly, you need to assign the main IP in the WHM "initial setup" link at the top. In your case, it will be one of the 173.192.x.x ones. You can setup all your sites on the same IP. The only time you really need dedicated IPs is when you install a SSL certificate on a given domain - then you must have a dedicated IP for that account.

To ensure you don't use the 192.x.x.x IPs to setup accounts, find the link to "reserve IP" and enter them there. WHM won't try to use them if they are reserved.

The private IP - 10.28.x.x - is used to connect to stuff inside the DC like for backups. Your DC should be able to give you details on that.

3. MarkM1

MarkM1 Registered

Thanks very much for the reply - I see a mistake I made alreadt then.... the WHM initial setup defaulted to putting the 10.28.x.x private IP in for the Main Shared Virtual Host IP so I left it there, but I will change this to one of the 173.192.x.x ones.

I was able to connect to the test account by FTP that was on the 192.x.x.x IP already though, just by going to one of the 173.192.x.x addresses, which is strange if I had this configured wrong.