The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ip shows via web but not the domain name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wickedweb, May 18, 2005.

1. wickedweb

wickedweb Member

Hey guys,
    Got one domain on a box that the ip address shows via any web browser but not the domain name it's self. Now the box is not handling main DNS and all seems good DNS reports all the correct ip address etc. I have gone over the zone on the box and it looks good. ran the DNS fix via /scripts/fixndc so I can start to use nameservers via the box but in the mean while if the DNS being used now is correct and I am now getting to the domain via ip address (was just switched off the shared ip and DNS correct where it's hosted) but domain still won't pull. Ideas?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would check that the virtualhost directive is setup correctly in httpd.conf if you've changed it's IP address recently, that's something often overlooked.

3. wickedweb

wickedweb Member

Checked that (should have stated I did) all is good there.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Has everything definitely propagated? (Have you waited at least 24 hours after the DNS change?) Have you also tried the trick of adding the ip/domain to your windows (if you use it) host file and then browsed, thus bypassing DNS altogether? Lastly, does http://dnsreport.com show you what you expect for the domain?

One last check would be to try accessing using lynx (or similar) directly on the server.

5. wickedweb

wickedweb Member

Name has filtered through yes been a while now. all seemed fine until the ip address change dnsreports show the correct ip address including mx records. So Im at a loss here. The only point of interest is all domains on this box use the same DNS servers. they all show fine but there is mismatched glue at DNS1 which shows but.....the other domains are pulling fine and when the other domains are run through they show the mismatched glue issue but again they do pull correctly via domain name.

6. wickedweb

wickedweb Member

ok was a case of my isp keeping old cached DNS records screamed at them and told them to catch up to the rest of us with it. lol go figure anyway problem solved. Now off to fix other issues like Bind on Free BSD grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

7. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

ISP's can be the biggest cause of problems like that, if you are wondering if the changes you have made have propagated yet you can check here http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3 and see the status around the world of the various DNS servers.