The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ip sleeps if server is idle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gerardo.lozano, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gerardo.lozano

gerardo.lozano Registered

I am running Cpanel (WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.11.0-R16774) on a fresh install of sles 10 Linux box. Everything is working properly but for some reason if the server is idle, the ip "sleeps" and you are not able to access the machine or any of the website from outside the server. Not by ip or domain name. The domains are pingable but the sites don't load and I can't VNC into the machine either. The sites or whm don't load until I log into whm on the server itself. We are running 2 ip address on the server. The main ip is the one that "sleeps" but the second ip that we us Crafty Syntax stays up. I assume it is because this is the site that is constantly in use. I have checked the log files but don't see a cause. Any assistance would be great.

-Gerardo

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Are both IP's on the same NIC card?. This is a "nailed up" connection, not something like ISDN or a connection that drops during a dead period ?. What connection do you have to the internet for this machine?

Unless you are using some kind of weird firewall setting or "wake up" for the nic or some kind of other protection which drops the tcp/ip on no outbound data after a time period this is a weirdo.

Are the dns servers for YOUR webservers domain inside your network or outside the network?.

Can you determine how long after you stop using the machine or network does this problem come up ?

#2 nyjimbo, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. gerardo.lozano

Thanks nyjimbo,
    Both ips are on the same Nic and the blade server has a lan connection directly to the Internet. One ip continues to work while the one that runs whm and several domains becomes unresponsive. The name servers are hosted locally and the on the same network that has the cpanel server. I am trying to access cpanel from my machine that also run on the same network and can't access the machine. There is no firewall between the server and my machine. I have to VNC using the second ip to get onto the machine to bring it up again. The main ip becomes unresponsive at unscheduled times and I can't tell how long it takes for it to die. If I work on the server or stay on WHM the ip stays active.

Thanks again
    Gerardo

#3 gerardo.lozano, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. nyjimbo

Could it be possible you did some kind of weird security setup in the Yast local security configuration?.

I can see how WHM might wake up the network connection as I think it "phones home" when you access it.

5. gerardo.lozano

No I have not messed with the Local Security settings or any security settings other then to turn the firewall off on the server. I don't know if this is a problem but I have two nic cards on the machine but the second one is not configured so I don't think this is the problem. Also I am not using NetworkManager for the Network setup method. I am using Traditional method with ifup. I have submitted at ticket with cpanel so hopefully I can get an answer. I was going to set up a cron job to keep whm active but would like a proper solution.

6. nyjimbo

Ok, also be sure you are not sharing interrupts on the nic cards. The NICs should have their own interrupts or you can have really weird results.