The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Stopped Resolving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Jul 30, 2007.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a few domains with a static IP address (for security certs), and one of those IPs just stopped resolving today.

I upgraded the RAM over the weekend, and suspect that something didn't load correctly when I rebooted. Everything else is OK, just not this one IP.

If I pull up the site through the proxy (www.mydomain.com/~username), it works fine, it's only when I use the domain or IP address that it gives me a Server Timed Out error.

I've rebooted Bind, then rebooted Apache... nothing. When I tracert the IP, it gets to the server location, then just starts timing out. Everything that I can think of to look at seems fine, so I'm stumped.

I've actually submitted this as a trouble ticket with my server provider, but they usually take awhile to reply and this is somewhat urgent, so I'm posting it here with the hopes of a quicker resolution.

Any ideas? Anyone else ever have a problem like this?

TIA,

Jason

2. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    IPs don't resolve, domains do.

Does the domain actually resolve to the IP address?

Is your IP still setup in WHM correctly?

If you can get to your account using ~/account, that indicates a problem. You should not be able to access it that way if the IP is blocked somewhere. Maybe the site's IP address changed? That would explain why you can access it with /~account but not the IP address or domain.