monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am trying to install CSF Firewall and I have an IP Tables config error when I try to turn on CSF:

Code:
iptables: Unknown error 4294967295
ACCEPT  tcp opt -- in * out *  0.0.0.0/0  -> 0.0.0.0/0  tcp dpt:25 OWNER UID match 0 
Error: iptables command [/sbin/iptables -v -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -m owner --uid-owner 0 -j ACCEPT] failed, at line 552
Googling "Unknown error 4294967295", gives me a wide range of possible fixes involving the --numiptent variable, or this post which goes way over my head.

It looks as though IP Tables is not configured correctly and I need to add some modules.
I did try this:

Code:
/etc$ modprobe ipt_conntrack
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.39.4-x1/modules.dep: No such file or directory
But I got an error.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Tearing my hair out with this one!
To check that Iptables is actually installed, on my Centos 5 VPS, I run this, and it looks like it is:

Code:
rpm -q iptables
iptables-1.3.5-9.1.el5
To check if iptables is actually running, I run the following, but get an error:

Code:
lsmod | grep ip_tables
Opening /proc/modules: No such file or directory
And quite correctly, there isn't a "/proc/modules" folder. Am I running the wrong command?
To add the modules to iptables, I added the following entry to my /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config and rebooted the server:

Code:
IPTABLES_MODULES="ipt_REJECT ipt_tos ipt_TOS ipt_LOG ip_conntrack ipt_limit ipt_multiport iptable_filter iptable_mangle  ipt_TCPMSS ipt_tcpmss ipt_ttl ipt_length ipt_state iptable_nat ip_nat_ftp ip_conntrack_ftp ipt_conntrack ip_tables  ip_conntrack_netbios_ns"
It doesn't seem to have worked. What is the correct way to add modules to Iptables? :confused:

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are you on a dedicated machine or a VPS machine? You cannot add modules if it is a VPS machine such as Virtuozzo or OpenVZ.

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Tristan

I'm on a VPS running Centos 5. No idea whether it is Virtuozzo or OpenVZ though.
That's a shame because it doesn't look like I can get CSF Firewall to work.
Oh well thanks anyway.

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Tristan

Thanks for the post.
Yes I have read the document and the problems begin when I run the Perl test script "perl /etc/csf/csftest.pl". The output script gives me the following:

Code:
Testing ip_tables/iptable_filter...OK
Testing ipt_LOG...OK
Testing ipt_multiport/xt_multiport...OK
Testing ipt_REJECT...OK
Testing ipt_state/xt_state...OK
Testing ipt_limit/xt_limit...OK
Testing ipt_recent...OK
Testing xt_connlimit...FAILED [Error: iptables: Unknown error 4294967295] - Required for CONNLIMIT feature
Testing ipt_owner/xt_owner...FAILED [Error: iptables: Unknown error 4294967295] - Required for SMTP_BLOCK and UID/GID blocking features
Testing iptable_nat/ipt_REDIRECT...OK
Testing iptable_nat/ipt_DNAT...OK
I can't start csf at all because of the iptables error, which leads me back to my first post.
You say that "You cannot add modules if it is a VPS machine", so I can't move forward because it looks like the modules are not being loaded.

Unless you know of another way...

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Tristan

I don't beleive it.
I tried one again to install CSF as I had done many times before and it worked!
So the IPtables Unknown error 4294967295 was a red herring.
Thanks for your help. I wish I understood why it words now.

revendai

Registered
Sep 23, 2012
RJ
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Helo error on start iptables

iptables v1.3.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': No chain/target/match by that name
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

pwhjenny

Aug 31, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You need to contact your host in order to get required Iptable modules installed in your VPS. After that you can install csf.

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just a quick followup to my original post.

My issue was that I was trying to select a Firewall Security Level which could not be supported with the limited amount of IP Tables modules. Because I did not have xt_connlimit and ipt_owner/xt_owner modules, I could only run the Firewall on its LOW setting. Took a while to figure that out...

I would reccommend ConfigServer Security & Firewall to everyone who is serious about server security.