The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Unusable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gotalk, Feb 13, 2009.

1. gotalk

gotalk Member

Please bare with me as I explain this. I'm a newbie with a VPS running CentOS 4.7 and cPanel/WHM 11.24. I was given a single IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.98) for sharing and I later added another through the WHM interface (xxx.xxx.xxx.100). I did this without realizing that I needed to have my datacenter assign the IP. Strange thing is, it worked just fine and I put a site on the IP with SSL cert and it worked fine for months. Suddenly the site went down last week. I moved the site to the shared IP to get it back up and started researching the problem. That's when I discovered that the dc needed to assign my IP. I removed the IP through WHM interface and then contacted dc for an IP. They gave my xxx.xxx.xxx.100, the same one I had manually added earlier. The IP won't work. I can't ping it from off the server, but can from the server. I did notice that the subnet mask they provided was different than the default I used when I added it through WHM. Can someone walk me through the steps to manually bind the IP. I have a feeling this is because there is an improper subnet mask referenced for the IP in some file on my server. If I knew all the files that need to be added/edited to manually bind the IP, I could probably trace it down. Thanks for your time!

2. gotalk

gotalk Member

I think I may have found something. I have put all the correct info in ips and started ipaliases. Shouldn't I see a ifcfg-eth0:0 in the netwrk-scripts directory? I only see ifcfg-eth0 Even stranger, ifconfig shows the new ip on ifcfg-eth0:1 which doesn't exist in the scripts directory either.

#2 gotalk, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. gotalk

gotalk Member

I guess I'm not getting much interest in this thread, but here is some more info that might help solve this. I deleted the addon IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.100) from WHM, made sure that it was gone from ips file too. Ran ifconfig and showed only the main IP. When I logged out and back into WHM, the aliase IP was back. There are two accounts that show up as using the IP, but I know they aren't. I went through the DNS zones for those two accounts and they show (xxx.xxx.xxx.98). Where is WHM picking this up? I think this is key to this mystery.

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you're using the correct netmask and you can ping the IP internally, chances are you've set the IP up correctly. If you can't ping it externally I'd be checking that the DC have it routed correctly through to your box.

They should be able to check your setup though if you ask them. Also, make sure you reboot after adding the IPs, as sometimes they don't get correctly added until you reboot.

5. littlebob

littlebob Member

I am sure this is not the right place but need to know

when i tried to ban an ip from cpanel, i get;

Error: while opening /usr/local/apache/htdocs/.htaccess

Littlebob