The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP vs. domain in Manage Nameserver IPs

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Ishware, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Whereas I've had websites since 1997, and reseller accounts since about 1999, and cPanel reseller accounts for... couple of years, now, I guess... I finally took the next plunge and got a dedicated server. So I'm having fun being a newbie again... :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure how I managed this, and I don't know if it'd be a problem... But I notice in WHM logged as root, under Manage Nameserver IPs:

Ip Nameserver
    209.[something].74 ns1.[mydomain].com
    209.[something].75 209.[something].75
    209.[something].76 ns2.[mydomain].com

Which is kind of weird...

I think everything is working -- I've moved a couple of domains over, and I'm waiting for propigation... Seems like the registrar was happy with ns1 being .74 and ns2 being .76, but...

Would it do any harm for me to delete .75 and .76 and try and set .75 up as ns2? I already have a number of sites set up -- would that break anything anyone is aware of?

And even better - does anyone have any clue how I managed to mangle it this way?

On a slightly different topic - if anyone has any recommendations for good resources to learn from (especially for a server newbie / *NIX newbie like myself), be it book or site, I'd appreciate pointers... I'm a Windows geek - supported Windows 95/98 for Microsoft for a year, so it's not like I'm not a geek... but you know how it is - you can be an expert in your field (which I don't claim to be anyway :) ), and know just about nothing in another... There are so many darned risks running your own server to begin with... I've tried to find some good tutorials, but it's like so much else -- you kind of have to know something about what you want to learn about to find more information that you want to learn...

I thank you all for your time and effort! :)

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to reorder the name servers without too much disruption provided as you said the ns1 remains and the initial sites are pointed to it. Obviously you have to re-register ns2 and there will be a lag before propagation.
    If I were you one of my biggest concerns on a new dedicated would be security. The following link from this forum, although not recently updated, has some good information.
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14443
    HTH