The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPcheck Error / Hostname + DNS Problems, No resolving

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by adnz, Jan 29, 2012.

1. adnz

adnz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello folks, I seem to be running into trouble with my newly acquired dedicated server. I'd greatly appreciate some help getting this off the ground.

After reading many posts on the same errors, support docs, and I'm stuck without a resolving site. I would like to believe that I have all the info entered in correctly.

Below are the steps I've taken.

1 - Basic Config - Default server IP (x.x.x.x)

2 - Basic Config - nameservers
    Created two unique names, assigned them to two free IP's.​
    ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com - gave both an A record and two unique IP's assigned to my dedicated server.​

3 - Hostname - created a hostname: host.domain.com

4 - Resolvers - added primary and secondary (initially, GoogleDNS, then changed to OpenDNS)
    208.67.220.220​

5 - Added DNS Zones. In total there are 4 zones.
    host.domain.com
    domain.com
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com​

6 - Created DNS records at GoDaddy, assigned to domain name.
    Added to host summary, ns1. and ns2. both assigned the same unique IP's​

7 - Restarted server. Since then, nothing is resolving. I've also received the cPanel warning error about hostname being invalid, although it seems to have stopped on its own. Hasn't happened in the past 12 hours.

So I checked hosts and resolv.conf for any potential problems. I'm not sure if the local lines are required.

/etc/hosts x.x.x.x = Default server IP
    /etc/resolv.conf
    I'm sitting on my hands in confusion at the moment. If you have any tips, help, noticed any problems above, please let me know :(

Notes: Running on CentOS 5.7, NS = BIND, WHM 11.3.5 build6 (not that these are needed, but just in case)

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you go ahead and double check your DNS records are correct. I have seen several instances where the script in cPanel to add the records automatically did not complete successfully.

Can you also check your /etc/nameserverips to make sure everything looks kosher.

3. adnz

adnz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have two lines that (as far as I know) seem correct. Same two assigned to the box that were used above, not from resolv.conf, but the server IP's.

x.x.x.x=ns1.domain.com
    x.x.x.x=ns2.domain.com

4. Indianets

Indianets Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are able to resolve the domains from within your box, I would try this --

Backup all 4 zones. Remove ns1, ns2 , host zones and keep only domain.com zone.
    Add subdomain records for ns1, ns2, host to the only zone instead.
    Manually check all records especially A record for the domain.

rebuild dns config
    restart named

I am not assuring this will resolve your problem. But conflicting IPs in multiple zones might create such issues. If this has no effect, reverse the process.

- Vijay

5. adnz

adnz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At the moment it's not resolving correctly from the machine, it's leading me to a few domains at secureserver.net :eek:

Going to give it some more time, and see if that changes first.

6. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well how long ago exactly has it been since you created the host records on godaddy's website for the domain?

If you could give the domain name as well, it would help. I have a few tools I can use to diagnose some common issues.

7. adnz

adnz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    About 2 days ago. I just changed them over to OpenDNS yesterday.

After running some more tests on various sites (viewdns.info, etc) I was able to get these snippets of information.

All nameservers mentioned below are the same as above. (ns1.domain.com. and ns2.domain.com.) Sorry for the big block of quotes, I tried to make it easier to break down, even though they're mostly common sense answers.

Local Tests

Local nameservers answer authoritively - Error

Missing NS records at local servers - Error

Nameservers allow TCP connections - Error

Glue at local nameservers - Warning

SOA Tests
    SOA primary nameserver listed at parent - Warning

SOA serial number format - Warning
    SOA Refresh value - Warning
    SOA Retry value - Warning

WWW CNAME lookup - Error

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It could be your firewall doesn't have UDP port 53 opened. If you are using the default RedHat firewall, it won't have that port opened and will deny traffic on it, which will not allow connections to resolve domains. As such, what is your firewall showing?

Code:
    /usr/sbin/iptables -n -L
    If you aren't using another firewall besides the default, try flushing it temporarily to see the results:

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -F
    At that point, try digging on hostname via the nameserver to see if it works:

Code:
    dig +short @ns1.domain.com host.domain.com
    If it does end up being that port 53 wasn't opened for UDP traffic, try opening it up by restarting the firewall (/sbin/iptables restart) and then running the following command:

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
    Of note, if you are running CSF or APF, do not issue a restart on the firewall but re-enable / re-start the firewall using their tools instead.

9. adnz

adnz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Edit: However, subdomains are still not functioning. ie. www.domain.com
    But there is a CNAME entry pointing to domain.com in the domain.com zone, so I'm not entirely sure why that would not redirect.

Original:
    Thanks for all the help guys, as Tristan suspected, it was port 53 not being opened to UDP traffic -- it was opened for TCP however, and I knew that as soon as I saw the first line of your reply. I must have blindly skipped it when looking at the rules... how embarrassing :p

If someone else runs into a similar problem in the future, check to see if your DNS can actually reach the web before making posts about it :|

#9 adnz, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012