The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipcheck, /etc/hosts, stunnel and me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by norelidd, Mar 30, 2008.

1. norelidd

norelidd Well-Known Member

I use ASSP and ASSP DeLuxe on my server for their amazing spam-fighting performance. The only problem is that ASSP doesn't support SSL connections, and the quirky but lovable developer says he doesn't need to.

It's important to have outgoing mail pass through ASSP in order to have it train the bayesian filter on known good mail from known good users. There's a workaround that involves getting stunnel to listen for SSL connections and pass them on to ASSP

The instructions are found here: http://www.grscripts.com/tweaking.html#03

I was trying to set it up, and it seemed to work, and I was able to send a few test messages using SSL and they went through ASSP as planned.

A few minutes later, though i get an email from ipcheck telling me the following
    This is probably due to the part in the instructions where we have to create a loopback with 127.0.0.2, but I'm not sure why it would affect the hosts file.

I'm not intimately familiar with how this all works, so you'll have to bear with me. I had my support team revert the /etc/hosts file, but it keeps on changing back and ipcheck keeps on emailing me.

Looking through the instructions, is there a simple way to get the results I desire without breaking everything else in the process?

2. norelidd

norelidd Well-Known Member

/etc/hosts currently looks like this, direct cut and paste
    /etc/resolv.conf looks like this
    aside from getting emails every few hours from ipcheck, it looks like things are working. should i be concerned about anything?