The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Ipcheck] Problem with DNS setup...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Cygnus_X1, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Good day.

OK I know this problem has been beaten to death, but I have gone through all of the previous posts of this issue, and tried all of the suggested fixes. However, I still continue to receive the IPCHECK email...

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    The hostname (server.gmydomain.com) resolves to xx.xxx.xx.6. It should
    resolve to xx.xxx.xx.34. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the
    'A' entry in zone file for the domain...

I have looked up and down all of the relevant files that might contain the old ip of xx.xxx.xx.6 but cannot find it to change. hosts, resolv.conf, nameserverips, ifconfig, A records, etc all show my new IP of xx.xxx.xx.34 I've created a new A record for my hostname as suggested, but this doesnt remedy the issue.

I've seen several other posts stuck with this same issue of being unable to find the mysterious hidden old IP. Unfortunately, if someone figured it out, they never followed up to say where they found it. I'm not familiar enough with the intricasies of BIND to know which files associated with it might contain the old IP, other than looking in the zone files themselves.

Everything appears to be working correctly, except that /scripts/ipcheck always kicks out this issues. So its more of an annoyance, than a problem, but I like to dot my Is and cross my Ts.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance.

2. eng911

eng911 Member

Did you check the IP at your registrar? When I was screwing with stuff while setting up I had everything set right on the server but was using the wrong IP at the registrar I think. I got that email for a while.

3. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Yeah, I checked, but that's not the cause of the problem. My domain name zone records are provided from my own name servers. So my registrar just has my name servers setup for my domain name. That old IP address is hading somewhere on my own server. The ipcheck scripts grabs its data to check from from the hosts file, ifconfig, resolv.conf, zone files, etc. on the local machine.

Thanks for your suggestion though. Anyone else with ideas?

4. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

did u check here aswell /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ?

5. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Yes, that contains my new IP info. So I'm still looking for the old IP somewhere on my server. :-(

Thanks again for the suggestion though. ANyone else?

6. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Simplistic question? Has this server been re-booted since the hosts file changes were made?

7. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

I was pretty sure I had since I changed IPs, but I rebooted again just to be sure. Still getting the same email. I manually force /scripts/ipcheck each time I make a change, but nothings working. And, I still cant find that feisty old IP :-(

Thanks for your suggestion though. Next idea?

8. Constantin

Constantin Member

This one worked for me:

9. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm using the regular eth0 interface. :-(

*bangs head against the wall* This is just so odd. I know that old IP is hiding somewhere. I looked at the code for /scripts/ipcheck to see which files it accesses to perform the IP check, and none of those called files contains the old IP. So I'm totally clueless where ipcheck is grabbing that old IP from :-(

As a side note, I havent been able to get my machine subdomain (machinename.domain.com) to resolve since I changed IPs. The domain by itself resolves, as do all other domains on my server, but its just the machine's subdomain having the issue right now. I think my two issues are related. Though the A records in the both my domain.com zone file and the machinename.domain.com zone file do not show any instance of the old IP. So I'm still basically stumped. :-(

Ideas?

10. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Just a follow up on this issue. I deleted the zone file from WHM for my machine's subdomain name (hostname.domain.com), and then created a new one with my new IP. This seems to have fixed the issue, as I no longer receive the Ipcheck emails, and my machine's subdomain resolves correctly now. So for others with the same issue, try deleting your machine's zone file in WHM, then readd it again.

11. majoosh

majoosh Well-Known Member

please see http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?p=392241#post392241 if that fix the problem ;)

Majoosh

12. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

I was getting these also.. there was a "localhost.localdomain" appended to the hostname entry in /etc/hosts. removing that stopped the complaint.

I think it was a remnant from a long time ago.