The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone and cPanel hosted email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Brandonm, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Brandonm

Brandonm Active Member

I have a new iPhone 3GS.

For those who are familiar with the iPhone and it's email capabilities, is it possible to get cPanel hosted email instantly the way the Yahoo email does. The Yahoo email will receive emails almost instantly even when the phone is in standby. However my cPanel hosted email accounts that I have on my phone will only poll the server every 15 minutes (imap or pop). I need to be able to receive emails instantly from my cPanel hosted accounts the way Yahoo does.

When I had a Blackberry the emails were near instant, but the iPhone doesn't seem to be. Are there any configuration changes that I need to make in Courier to receive emails instantly or is this a limitation of the iPhone's built-in email client?

Thank you.

2. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    In the iPhone under settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendar there is a setting on how often you want to fetch data. I think the default is 15 minutes. I've got mine set for 30 minutes to preserver battery life. I think every 15 minutes is the lowest that it will go. Haven't played around with it that part of it that much.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The email push (it is sent to you like a txt) versus pull (imap/pop) seems to be your issue. I don't know about yahoo but sounds like they use a push service.

MS Exchange can do this but I don't think there is any linux equivalent that will do the email pushing, for sure nothing in cPanel by default.

Your blackberry was probably just checking email more then every 15 minutes.

4. Brandonm

Brandonm Active Member

Yeah the lowest interval is 15 minutes, that's not quick enough for the level of service that we provide to our customers. But at this point it looks like I am just best off using a yahoo email since it is instantaneous.

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why not setup a forward for that service email address to text you?

Before the iphone, I had setup a simple forward for 'urgent@domain' to send a text to my crappy phone. Same thing with voicemail.
    This told me something was up, so I'd check email/voicemail for details.

The only downside is when someone used the 'urgent' address for non-urgent messages. (before unlimited texting)

Brian

6. Brandonm

Brandonm Active Member

Well that's possible, however I would prefer something more streamlined where I can simply click reply. In this instance I would have to check the text message > copy the from email > copy the subject line > and then reply. Granted I do have sms setup for a few 'dire' emergencies. I thought perhaps there was something serverside that could be adjusted for IMAP to work instantly on the iPhone. I suppose this was something special that Yahoo and Gmail have with Apple.

For now I will just forward everything to my yahoo account. At least that way I can simply change the from address when replying. :)

7. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Does Gmail push to the iPhone immediately as well?

The thought of recommending Yahoo to my clients makes me nauseous... *shiver* :p LOL

:D Bailey

8. studyhost

studyhost Registered