Iphone update affecting email accounts

whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hi,

Not sure if anyone is getting this issue. For the longest time now, every time there's an update on an iphone, the mail settings on the accounts gets changed. We tend to correct the settings back to it's original state, but it's a hit and miss. When this update happens, the email account always fails to connect to server. Is there a permanent fix to this issue?

Appreciate the help. Thank you.

whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hi Rex,

Sorry. When I say "MAil Settings", the incoming mail settings specifically gets changed. The port changes and SSL. It's like Apple auto-detects and changes the settings to it's liking. But then it would stop working ones those changes kick it. The most annoying part is when we try to configure it back to it's original state, it still won't work.

I guess my question with your colleagues using iphones is, are they on a cpanel server with regards to mail? Because this issue is happening with our customers using iphones that are on our cpanel servers. Yahoo emails, Gmails, and others seems to be working fine. This issue has been on-going for more than a year now to be honest. We just didn't pay too much attention on it because there's not much Apple users that we have. That's why we noticed this because it's mostly our Apple users, the same customers, over and over.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
While we did make some changes recently, we primarily use cPanel servers for email internally as well.

Do you see anything specific in /var/log/maillog that shows a connection issue? Are you able to reproduce the problem or is it intermittent?

whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Like I mentioned, only happens when a software update from Apple occurs, or in most cases every 6 months. So I would categorize it as intermittent. Cannot replicate it unless we actually buy an iphone and wait until it happens really.

How will the mail log help if the issue is on the phone itself? Would the Cpanel log show connection issues to mobile phones or 3rd party email app?