The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ip's for accounts not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 666, Feb 11, 2004.

1. 666

666 Guest

i jus got a new server in the past few hours... i set it up for my own dns servers which should take a few days to propagate... Anyway, I added a few accounts and when I click on the ip for them in the account listings,

69.69.69.696/~accountname

it hangs for a few seconds and then goes to a dead page.

what could this be from?

2. welo

welo Well-Known Member

Try adding a slash to the end (ip.ad.dre.ss/~username/). That should work. Am uncertain why though.

3. 666

666 Guest

that does not help.

BTW the ip is the virtual shared IP for accounts, not one of the servers main ip's.

4. 666

666 Guest

i dont know if this could be the problem, but while setting up my own dns i accidentaly inputted the servers main ip (which serves as ns1) in the 'master primary server' option in the basic server setup. is that a bad thing?

:(

5. 666

666 Guest

well poking around i noticed in my resolver setting the local ip 127.0.0.1 and the info saying that if the main ip of the serv is gonna be the dns then thats the ip i should have there... so i changed it and im rebooting now.

this should at least correct what i did with the master primary server' incident... i think

6. 666

666 Guest

well i rebooted the serv, and it had no effect on my problem regarding the site ip's not working. I went back to the resolver config part and noticed the same 127.0.0.1 was still there, yet in my (/etc/resolv.conf file it shows the correct ips for my name servers

i still dont get why i cant access the sites with the ip

7. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

This is what I found works for me.

1. To access an account with a dedicated ip, just enter the IP address assigned to the account:
    http://111.111.111.111

2. To access any account (shared or dedicated), use the boxes primary IP address (or domainname if propogated) and append the backslash tilde backslash:

http://pri.mar.yip.add/~user/

8. 6x3

6x3 Member

i had to reregister on the fourms cuz these forums wouldnt let me see anything while i was correctly logged in.

I wanna thank you, this allowed me to reach the accounts, but only as if i was browsing the sites.. it did not prompt me to login to the cpanel for that account.

But i ask, why in the account listings does it show the virtual shared ip instead of the primary ip that works? ALso, I had setup my own dns yesterday and I guess its half working if i can access the hostname (my.site.com) as a site, cuz when I put the primary ip and the user account name after it, the url changed to my hostname with the account name after it. But if I do just the root site (site.com) it doesnt work, even tho i setup an account for it.

Also I did a dns report for the domain name i have setup for nameservers, which i also created a hosting account for....and it showed that:

#8 6x3, Feb 11, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  9. bamasbest

OK. You can access a cPanel account , even with shared IP's by going to:

http://shared.orassigned.IP.address:2082

use the login/pass assigned to the user and you're cookin with gas.

As for your nameservers...

while you may have some errors as far as your entries, dnsreports.com/dnstuff.com has been kinda buggy for the past few days.

I received the same (private IP) errors, waited 20 minutes and then received an AOK report.

10. 6x3

6x3 Member

well i need to figure out why the virtual ip does not work for any account. When I do a traceroute or check at dnsreports it says there is nothing at all at the IP.

What settings / files should I look into?

11. 6x3

6x3 Member

no solution huh

12. bamasbest

Hmmm....

If your box is working, and the IP's aren't resolving to your box, you may want to check with your DC (Data Center) as they may have configured them improperly.