The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPs got unbound - how to recover?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pingo, Jan 26, 2004.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

The problem were fixed by an tech but I would like to know how to handle such a situation again, should it happen again. The ips on a server of mine got unbound because someone ran the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/network on the server. In this case WHM weren't accessible as well. Is there anyway to restore things via ssh?

Thanks
    John

2. MrHits

MrHits Well-Known Member

if running redhat, run this:

/etc/init.d/ipaliases start

and it will bind the ips from /etc/ips

or just reboot.

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll try that the next time if it ever happens again. I just onder who ran that script and for what purpose. It is a bit scary if someone is inside and can damage the server as he wish. It shouldn't however be comprimised.

John

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With the recent updates to WHM, it's a good idea to make sure any Client with SSH is using Jailshell. I cannot think of any reason for otherwise as the recent updates (in the Edge version anyway) will now allow Jailshell to provide access for anything a Client could want to do -- while still maintaining pretty decent security/restrictions to other parts of the Server.

5. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

I can think of a reason, the cPanel jailed shell leaves a ton of crap behind on your system and is a system admins nightmare with all the hard links, etc. It's just easier to use a restricted bash shell or change the permissions on your partitions to prevent snooping.