Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

IPs got unbound - how to recover?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pingo, Jan 26, 2004.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

The problem were fixed by an tech but I would like to know how to handle such a situation again, should it happen again. The ips on a server of mine got unbound because someone ran the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/network on the server. In this case WHM weren't accessible as well. Is there anyway to restore things via ssh?

Thanks
    John

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrHits

MrHits Well-Known Member

if running redhat, run this:

/etc/init.d/ipaliases start

and it will bind the ips from /etc/ips

or just reboot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll try that the next time if it ever happens again. I just onder who ran that script and for what purpose. It is a bit scary if someone is inside and can damage the server as he wish. It shouldn't however be comprimised.

John

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With the recent updates to WHM, it's a good idea to make sure any Client with SSH is using Jailshell. I cannot think of any reason for otherwise as the recent updates (in the Edge version anyway) will now allow Jailshell to provide access for anything a Client could want to do -- while still maintaining pretty decent security/restrictions to other parts of the Server.

5. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

I can think of a reason, the cPanel jailed shell leaves a ton of crap behind on your system and is a system admins nightmare with all the hard links, etc. It's just easier to use a restricted bash shell or change the permissions on your partitions to prevent snooping.