The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iptables -F

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by epanagio, Jun 21, 2014.

1. epanagio

epanagio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Somehow a few hours ago all my domains and cpanel that I host on a server weren't available. Using a browser I would get an error telling me that the domain could not be accessed.

I was able to ssh using the IP address and I started searching the Internet about networking issues and fixes. Finally I issued the command
    Code:
    iptables -F
    I think this command flushes the iptables. If I reboot the server, everything becomes unavailable again. As soon as I issue the above command, poof, everything is available again.

Can someone please help me understand what is happening here, please. Why is tis command makes everything to work but if I reboot everything becomes unavailable?

HELP!!!!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

That command will temporarily flush the rules. If you want to ensure the default rules are not restored, then you must run a command such as:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables save
    That being said, it's likely a better idea to install a third-party firewall management utility such as CSF.

Thank you.