IPTables: Uninitialized value in bitwise operations?

spiff06

Jan 17, 2004
Hello everyone,

We've been having an increasing number of errors in the kernel script, showing up in the daily LogWatch email report:

Use of uninitialized value in bitwise or (|) at /etc/log.d/scripts/services/kernel line 100, <STDIN> line 828266.
Use of uninitialized value in left bitshift (<<) at /etc/log.d/scripts/services/kernel line 102, <STDIN> line 828266.
The offending lines compare IPs for matching:
Code:
sub compIP {
   my ($a1,$a2,$a3,$a4,$aval,$bval);

# get numeric values for a and b
   ($a1,$a2,$a3,$a4) = split /\./,$a;
   $aval = ($a1 << 24) | ($a2 << 16) | ($a3 << 8) | $a4;
   ($a1,$a2,$a3,$a4) = split /\./,$b;
   $bval = ($a1 << 24) | ($a2 << 16) | ($a3 << 8) | $a4;

return $aval <=> $bval;
}
According to this post, the lines in question (100 & 102) have to do with IPTables setup. Indeed we've had some intrusion attempts coming up that we attempted to block with the IPTables firewall: changes were made to the setup to block (DROP) 10 IPs over the course of the last week or so.

If I look at iptables --list, addresses blocked show either as IPs or as domains (such as this.is.our.domain), even though I stored them as IPs using iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -j DROP; if the script processes the same strings as those shown on the list, then the above bitwise operations would fail when encountering a word rather than a number. Is that indeed the case?

I'm currently looking at the IPTables manual (http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html), but would appreciate if someone would chip in on this issue, and suggest corrective steps.

Thanks,
Eric

spiff06

Jan 17, 2004
I've removed all entries from iptables except for the log. But I still get floods of junk messages about failed bitwise operations that make the LogWatch message utterly useless.

Surely someone else experienced this issue?

Please help.
Eric