iptables web based frontend

eitanc

Jan 31, 2010
Hi All, I use the latest WHM and cpanel. I am a visual type of guy and I don't like running firewalld commands to config iptables.

I don't wish to install a host based firewall frontend that use either gnome nor kde - as I wish to keep my server minimal.

I tried to use the csf plugin for whm. it is nice and helpful in many aspects but it doesn't have the common rule base firewall table I am looking for. all is scattered in many sections. I wish for a big picture rules table.

What do you say? is there a software for gui based iptables management? I am even willing even to have one along side whm-cpanel, as an "external" app on the server. I seen several ones on the internet - but they were old and not updated for many years - so they are out of question.
Maybe webmin? but can it run alongside whm-cpanel?

Another option is adding a VPS server, "in front" of the my self hosted VPS, to be my internet gateway firewall, using it as a dedicated firewall device, but that is the less desired option.

I wish to learn from you guys and girls. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

eitanc

Jan 31, 2010
Thanks Lauren. I will look into first one. The 2nd one is not a network firewall, so it is less relevant for me.
I am sorry to hear there is no free web UI option for host based firewall on linux.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Why do you care about 'how' CSF sets up the rules (really just wondering). It's very easy with CSF to set the inbound/outbound rules and any exceptions that you want (with csf.allow, for example), so we don't really really care how the rules are setup, just that they are.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Thanks Lauren. I will look into first one. The 2nd one is not a network firewall, so it is less relevant for me.
I am sorry to hear there is no free web UI option for host based firewall on linux.
No problem but that's not what I said at all. I never once indicated that there is no free web UI option for firewall on Linux. I provided some commonly used software on WebHosting servers, that was it.

eitanc

Jan 31, 2010
I don't care how csf "engine" does the changes in the code and its OS process. I care how it is represented to me as the admin.
A graphical rule base as a table is the best way, in my view, to know how the set of rules work, not when it is scattered across different gui sections.

Jay3570

Oct 24, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
May not be too helpful but there's a Firewalld GUI - firewall-config - you may be able to use. But CSF is the best cPanel GUI I've seen. Editing the CSF file may still be easier than Firewalld for those who don't want to run a lot of commands.