The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPV6 Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DrFallen, May 29, 2014.

1. DrFallen

DrFallen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All, Is it possible to add IPV6 Addresses as nameservers but allow IPv4 users to connect to them or do I still have to stick to IPV4? Just wondering what to do with all the IPV6 block I have with my VPS.

Many Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will need to check with your domain registrar to make sure IPv6 glue records are supported. Once you set those records up at the domain registrar, you can add the corresponding AAAA records on the cPanel server. Note that you should use BIND as your name server with cPanel if you plan on using IPv6 for DNS purposes.

Thank you.

3. DrFallen

DrFallen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael :)

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently with godaddy so I would guess they support it maybe. For my domains and I've always used bind for my servers. Literally asking because I have about 20 IPV6's attached just wondering what to do with them :D

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Note that just because you have IPv6 records, it does not mean you have to actually use them. You are welcome to hold off and implement them based on client demand or for particular purposes.

Thank you.