The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is attempting to hack in to my CPanel illegal?

Discussion in 'Security' started by mekajinn, Aug 15, 2013.

1. mekajinn

mekajinn Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi,

Newbie here... I have an ongoing issue that appears to be reaching a head.

Basically I have a problem ex client who has attempted to hack in to my main CPanel. I know it was someone from their office because I have friends there who are still clients, and so they want to check up on their own sites at work from time to time.

I became concerned today after being told that they couldn't access their own site... this is hosted on the same package and IP as 'problem client'.

I investigated and found that IP of the office concerned was blocked on my server due to multiple incorrect login attempts from that location. At the same time, once that blacklist started, I have discovered that the 'problem client' has been telling all concerned that I took down his site.

Obviously I didn't, and the people in the office couldn't see it simply because he'd deliberately tried to hack my CPanel.

WHat I want to know is... is this an offence? This is a person deliberately trying to sabotage my business... surely there is something I can do??

Thanks anyone who can help... this is totally frying my brain now. :(

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I recommend obtaining legal advice from a qualified professional. This forum is primarily intended for matters related to the cPanel/WHM software itself.

Thank you.

3. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There is a good chance it was a letigimate mistake and they're just not intelligent. Perhaps someone there forgot their cPanel password, and when their IP got blocked, they misunderstood and thought you took down their site.

4. mekajinn

mekajinn Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Unfortunately this is impossible given the perpetrator's knowledge. It was a deliberate act. They had no CPanel login and they knew they didn't. They wanted to get my site blocked at that IP so they could then tell everyone in the office that I had removed the site. It's a political thing.

Obviously when staff were able to see the site on their phones they realised that someone was being deceitful.

Anyway, thanks for the replies... I might take legal advice, I really don't know. it isn't nice when someone is trying to sabotage your business.

EDIT: I hate to think what they would have done had they somehow succeeded in gaining entry to my CPanel =/

5. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you have CSF, and nobody at that location needs access to the cPanel/WHM ports, you could block that IP from those specific ports. Then they could not attempt to log in to cause the block.

If they did gain access, that's a violation of law. Accessing any system you are not authorized to access is a violation of US law. Only attempting is harder to prove. Definitely consult a lawyer especially if anything else happens.

6. mekajinn

mekajinn Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks quizknows... I am in the UK, but I am pretty sure the authorities take an equally dim view of industrial sabotage, be it virtual or not.

I have the IP and time of attempted access, and I am pretty sure a cursory examination of the person responsible's machine would uncover proof. Probably in their browsing history if they are so stupid as to try this in the first place.