The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Cpanel backup rotation silly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eurorocco, Feb 17, 2006.

1. eurorocco

eurorocco Well-Known Member

Could Cpanel backup rotation be improved?

To explain, I have....

# ls -l /backup/cpbackup/*/moreedu.tar.gz
    ... size, date and the pathnames
    59114597 Feb 16 02:20 /backup/cpbackup/daily/moreedu.tar.gz
    57816006 Jan 22 02:03 /backup/cpbackup/monthly/moreedu.tar.gz
    59114597 Feb 16 02:20 /backup/cpbackup/weekly/moreedu.tar.gz
    #

See daily and weekly have the same timestamp, that they are identical? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the daily, weekly and monthly backups different? It seems that whenever the daily and weekly coincide on their period start the same backup is saved as daily and weekly. Also, whenever the weekly and monthly coincide on their period start the same backup is saved as weekly and monthly.

I wish Cpanel could make sure daily, weekly and monthly are kept different, to have more options when looking for which backup to restore from.

I guess the workaround is to have a script go around backups everyday before backup runs saving the extra different backup, but keeping two copies of the exactly same backup seems silly at a glance. Maybe the weekly should mean "a week ago" and monthly "a month ago". Maybe putting a switch in WHM to select rotation strategy. Silly me. :)

Thanks!

ER

#1 eurorocco, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

How else would you have a daily weekly and monthly occur? At some point they're all going to be the same (e.g. at the beginning of the month). The cPanel method also saves greatly on server resources in that it doesn't redo the same backup but instead copies the directory over at the given interval.

As you say, you can simply add your own rotation, which is what I do, to give you a day of thr week backup too. Do that and you can do away with the weekly backup.:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=43683

3. eurorocco

eurorocco Well-Known Member

Keeping daily, weekly and monthly different

Well, the basic suggestion was to add the logic and the timing to keep daily, weekly and monthly backups different.

It would mean replacing monthly with weekly right before creating a new weekly. This when the time comes to refresh the monthly backup.

Also, replacing weekly with daily right before creating a new daily. This when the time comes to refresh the weekly backup.

I meant optimizing the logic and the timing so that when I look for a backup I find three different backup versions.

It seems to me that with the current rotation daily and weekly are the same frequently, and weekly and monthly are the same for days every month.

BTW, I do not run daily every day, but only on three days of the week. Running daily every day was useless because by the time the customer comes up with a request to restore a crashed site the last backup is precisely the crashed version. A lag of a day or two seemed to work better for my sites which are not so dynamic in general.

Thanks Chirpy and all! :)

ER

#3 eurorocco, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member