Is cPanel discountinuing FrontPage Extensions?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
FrontPage was discontinued by Microsoft as of 2006. The replacements are SharePoint Designer and Expression Web. See the following for more details: http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/futureoffp.mspx

With the disconintuation of FrontPage, Microsoft also discontinued the FrontPage extensions, hence their discontituation for Apache. This was Microsoft's decision. This killed the 'easy' FrontPage publishing method, leaving only FTP, WebDav and SMB (Maybe http if you can find a server that implements PUT).

jamesbond

Oct 9, 2002
With the disconintuation of FrontPage, Microsoft also discontinued the FrontPage extensions, hence their discontituation for Apache. This was Microsoft's decision. This killed the 'easy' FrontPage publishing method, leaving only FTP, WebDav and SMB (Maybe http if you can find a server that implements PUT).
So everyone should remove the frontpage extensions from any accounts that are currently using them?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
So everyone should remove the frontpage extensions from any accounts that are currently using them?
If you currently have them, you are permitted to continue using them. But don't take my word for it, do your own research, ask a lawyer, etc.

jamesbond

Oct 9, 2002
Ask a lawyer? Not that's a different approach! :D I only have a few accounts with FP extensions, I'll just get rid of it.

DDT

Dec 10, 2003
Since MS just updated the extensions version to FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 (not available in cPanel/WHM yet) they are doing something. I don't know about the new version, maybe it offers more "transition" support maybe cPanel shouldn't use it because it might take extensions features away.

Personally I have a TON of customers using FrontPage and they will not want to change.

Also if you read the Expressions site it is confusing...above someone said Apache2 would support webdav and that would solve problems BUT most of my FP clients rely heavily on web bot features (that's why they use FrontPage) and the Expressions site says web bots will now be written in a combination of .asp and .net BOTH of which are "Windows Server Only" extensions.
So it looks like Expressions will technically work with our *nix & cPanel in the future but no web bots...so no point. To me it just looks like Expressions is going for the "compete with Dreamweaver" market and the high end versions are going for sharepoint users which have always been "Windows server only" extensions. (MS says "Let's force our customers to use Windows Servers too, more $$$" :mad: )

As far as I can tell (maybe cPanel will tell us for sure) even though FrontPage is EOL current users will still be able to use it as long as cPanel keeps the extensions on.

Even outdated and soon unsupported my TON of FrontPage clients can keep doing what they have been until THEY decide to change. I have seen nothing that says it won't be OK for cPanel or anyone to continue legally offering the extensions (unless you go to Apache 2 and that's just because Apache 2 doesn't support them)

So HOPEFULLY cPanel will just keep on offering the extensions for at least a couple of years, maybe more, just no updates; because as said there are plenty of people who bought FrontPage in the last year or two, have just now learned to really use it, and have no desire to change (just like I have no desire to run Windows servers); as well as a bunch of people like I have that have been using it and upgrading since '97 and have got good at it's quirks and rely on it completely, never knowing or having used anything else.
Losing web publishing would be a bad thing for comparing files and for people with simple sites, but people with multiple themes in one site and other unconventional configurations have been having to use FTP to get them to work correctly anyway so having to go FTP would be a new experience for some, but not a huge upset like the loss of web bots would be. :eek:

SageBrian

Jun 1, 2002
NY/CT (US)
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The problem is, the users will eventually have to move to something new.

FrontPage is old. And it looks like Microsoft is 'quietly' acknowledging that it has some security holes in the 'easy to use' approach.

Much like people not wanting to get rid of their horse-and-buggy, eventually the horse will be run off the road by a motorcar.

Unfortunately, the Internet moves quick. Much quicker than people are used to. And that requires staying up-to-date.

I'm going to be sending my FrontPage users links to Microsoft's own pages about the discontinuation. We can only educate and warn of potential issues. It's not us, it's not cpanel. It's Microsoft. And, it's the right decision by Microsoft.

Now is a perfect time for the FrontPage users to start looking at CMS programs like Joomla and Drupal.

leighj

Feb 21, 2003
Part of my company sells FrontPage templates so this has been a BIG issue...

First WebBots covers a TON of stuff... but what Expression Web will do is SUPPORT them (for example if you open an old site built in FrontPage) but they did remove the Menu Items and
SOME of the webbots are being returned as Add-Ins. Such as the Includes.

FP Server Extensions or FPSE (NOT the FrontPage Editor) was discontinued June 30th 2006
http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/ has ALL the info on this change and answers some questions. Yes you CAN run it but don't expect ANY help AT ALL.

Now SOME of the webbots require Server Side functions that require FPSE will BREAK and die when FPSE are disabled. But OTHERS will still work as they are parsed and executed ONLY when Saving, Publishing and Recalculating the Web. (Includes for example) Expression Web SUPPORTS these quite well.

Most of my clients use FrontPage and use some of the webbots HOWEVER NONE of them will have any problems EXCEPT to change their publishing info if I was to remove FPSE.

Expression Web does a GREAT job in making transparent WebDav/FTP/FPSE/File system editing and publishing. So the transition is NOT nearly as bad as many are fearing.

Now for the FrontPage editor. It is discontinued... they will support it for a bit but it will eventually be no longer supported (like Windows 95)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/frontpage/default.aspx

Leigh

Hans Luijten

Registered
May 24, 2006
Without going to EDGE versions, how can I enable WebDAV?

Apache 2.x is needed, but that would require using EDGE release (probably not a smart choice for a production environment), or manually install mod_dav ... not sure how smart manual installation is considering the upcoming Apache 2.x release in cPanel ...

(although I have been waiting for about 8 months now for Apache 2.x to be included in cPanel; so is it REALLY ever going to happen?)

Anyone?

carluk

Sep 2, 2003
When cpanel 11 goes stable, not if.

Hans Luijten

Registered
May 24, 2006
I've been waiting since May '06 for Webdav (cPanel user since May '06). So when can we expect cPanel 11 to be stable? In a month? 3 months? year? I'd prefer to wait for that, to avoid conflicts and such,... but how much longer do we need to wait (I'm aware that the cPanel team is working hard to get it done, and I know Apache 2.x/WebDav is not the only issue to be solved)?

In case I install mod_dav, what could be the possible consequences? Specially when movinf to cPanel 11?