The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is /home/user/mail/user/inbox legacy junk?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GTFO, Aug 15, 2007.

1. GTFO

GTFO Active Member

I have a server running whm 11.2.0 cpanel 11.10.0 and im looking to optimize the space on the drive. This server has been on cpanel from day one, been up for years and has seen the best and worst of cpanel and exim. This server has not been converted to maildir as of yet.

My question is about the directory structure of individual client accounts. I've seen that their are 2 structures for the inbox setup. The user "Bob" and bobbysworld.com are used for example

/home/bobby/mail/bob/inbox

and

/home/bobby/mail/bobbysworld.com/bob/inbox .

The first directory structure was used quite some time ago it seems as the inbox's in that directory structure are not updated with new mail. The second directory structure receives mail normally.

The question is, can the inbox's in the first directory structure be removed? I've noticed recently that some of the larger e-mail accounts have begun to mirror the new inbox in the old inbox directory structure. This isn't the norm by any means, but I am curious as to whether I can delete the old inbox structure. I've renamed and tested one and it did not seem affected by the change.

Furthermore, having other servers with newer version of cpanel and maildir, I am inclined to believe that the first directory structure will be rendered completely useless once that server has been converted to Maildir.

Any thoughts, info, ideas?