The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a bug?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Junz, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Junz

Junz Member

Hi,everyone:

I used WHM to opened an account with the domain name "xxx.com.ru", and this client parked another domain "xxx.net.ru", both of the "xxx" are exactly the same. And later he found once he tried to visite "xxx.net.ru/xxx", it would automatically redirect to "xxx.com.ru/xxx". He claimed about it so I checked in the WHM, and I found under this client's bandwidth statics there's a domain name "xxx.com.ru.xxx.net.ru", is it a bug? I tried to delete this account and setup again but the problem was still there.

Hope someone can help me! :confused:

2. bagel50

bagel50 Member

if it's a parked domain, it will literally just point at the main domain. Both addresses will point at the same site, domain1.com/xxx = domain2.com/xxx. however, if it's an addon domain, it will create a directory where you can place the other site, which will be accessible through domain2.com and also domain2.com.domain1.com. Hope that clears things up?
    parked domain = 1 site
    addon domain = 2 sites.

Olly

3. Junz

Junz Member

Thanks. I know what you said, just want to know if everyone's cpanel when you do the same thing as me and my client, is it the same result as what I said above??

4. bagel50

bagel50 Member

I appear not to understand you fully...

are you wondering about the stats for xxx.com.ru.xxx.net.ru - why they exist, or why the redirection happens?

if it's about why the xxx.com.ru.xxx.net.ru subdomain exists, its' because you have an addon domain and they automatically create subdomains of the main domain which are by default the whole addon domain name, but can be renamed. in your case, since the main domain is xxx.com.ru the subdomain created automatically should be xxx.net.ru.xxx.com.ru, not what you posted. You cannot avoid that these exist, it is not a bug.

If you were talking about the redirection, then you have a parked domain, and again this is the nature of that feature, you cannot avoid it.

Both the redirect and the subdomain should not occur at the same time unless you have redirect set up on an addon domain. for example, an addon domain xxx.net.ru which has a redirect setup to go to xxx.com.ru. this will be clear if you have it, in the addon domains section the word "redirect" will appear after the domain, and you can alter this at the bottom of the page.

If you are talking about something else, please forgive my lack of understanding, and explain again.

Olly.

#4 bagel50, Aug 13, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005