Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Is it a requirement to support verify of email senders?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by aarondwyer, Feb 25, 2007.

1. aarondwyer

aarondwyer Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I have setup on one of my cPanel servers to "Verify the existence of email senders".

This has resulted in the reduction of a heap of spam, but some other servers don't support this checking of email addresses.

I have had to setup a whitelist in Exim with those domains that contact me letting me know that they can't send emails to my server.

Is there a requirement or common practice to have servers enabled to allow verification. ?

More importantly I need to know how do you enable or disable the cPanel server to respond to the verifying of email addresses.?

Thanks
    Aaron

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

Check Exim configuration. There is option to disable this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Verify senders is for your local server to verify clients exist and are authorized to send mail. Are you allowing other servers to relay through you as a mx service?

4. aarondwyer

aarondwyer Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for that, but I think I mentioned the wrong option.

This sort of thing is showing up in my exim_mainlog from a valid external email isn't getting through to a valid local email box.

2007-02-25 20:40:29 H=(marvin.ipnetworks.net.au) [203.132.64.12] F=<pigeonhole1@
    lagunacom.com.au> temporarily rejected RCPT <aarond@websmartcentral.com>: Could
    not complete sender verify callout

Since I have this ticked on my servers.

Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders.

And some servers do not comply with allow you to verify if it's a real email address. I thought this was a standard.??

Also how do I enable / disable whether the server accepts these callouts.

I know my server is asking for them, but I don't think it is giving them out to other servers.

Thanks
    Aaron