The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possiable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jetnet, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jetnet

jetnet Active Member

Is it possiable to seperate the web service from the e-mail service? For example, we have many servers now, and the limiting factor on all of these servers is always e-mail. So the question would be, can we put all of our websites on one server, then spread e-mail out to another server(s), insted of having to continue purchasing more and more all-in-one servers?

Does this make sence?

2. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

Yes. The MX record(s) in a DNS zone determines where email is delivered for a domain.

So for example, you could have all your websites running on one server, your DNS distributed over multiple servers, setup some servers and assign them mail1, mail2, ... subdomains on your DNS servers, and then set the MX records for each domain like so:

domain1.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail1.yourservice.com.
    domain2.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail1.yourservice.com.
    domain3.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail2.yourservice.com.
    domain4.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail2.yourservice.com.

You can edit the MX records for a domain in WHM's DNS editor, manually with shell access in /var/named, or in cpanel if it is enabled.

3. jetnet

jetnet Active Member

Not really what I am looking for. I know how DNS works, I was the head SysAdmin for a network that hosted over 10k sites with a cluster mail solution. But that was not using cpanel. The problem is that with Exim running, and spamasssassin, and Clamav, and everything else, it really bogs down the server running the websites. It would be nice for CPanel to say, I have 10 servers in my network, these 5 or webservers, these three are mail servers, and these two are DNS servers. Then push services and everything to the proper servers. You just add a new account in one location and it puts all that in the right places.

Make sence? I dont want a cluster solution, just one that can put all mail traffic on mail servers, and not bog down web servers. People dont bitch and moan when their mail arrives slowly at the mail server, but they pitch a fit if their website loads slowly.

4. Tagor

Tagor Well-Known Member

That's not possible or you have to do it manually.

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Have to do that manually, or write a script to do it.

Cpanel isn't designed to configure multiple servers automatically.

6. gmurob

gmurob Registered

Script Example?

Does anyone have an example of this script that would help automate the distribution of email to different servers?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member