The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it Possible to have more than 1 account for a domain?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by peace74, Aug 18, 2010.

1. peace74

peace74 Registered

I am new to whm and cpanel sorry.

I presumed that I could set up a new account in whm for a client just to be able to add email accounts, I know how to set up feature lists for a package etc but when I try to create a new account it wont let me.

can I only have one cpanel account for a domain?

Thanks.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Parked or addon domains

You can add another domain to an existing account by adding a parked or addon domain. A parked domain is simply a ServerAlias directive in the httpd.conf file. An addon domain is a subdomain that can also be accessed using a domain name.

I recommend the following sections of our documentation:

Parked Domains

Addon Domains

To add a parked or addon domain, the feature list and account limits must allow them for the particular account. Either a parked or addon domain will allow you to create e-mail accounts for the parked or addon domain in the cPanel account.

3. johnburk

johnburk Well-Known Member

Just ignore the cpanel copy and paste answer

If you question is if one domain can have multiple accounts then NO.

cpanel only allows one account per domain. You cannot create sub-accounts giving clients access to cpanel, but with restriction. Although this has been requested several times over the years. Don't expect cpanel to develop this feature.

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Clarification

It is not entirely clear what the original poster would like to do. If he has a cPanel account, and would like to add another domain to it, it is possible to do so as an addon domain or a parked domain, if the account and package limits allow it. My answer remains valid in this case.

It is true that there is no provision currently for cPanel "sub-account" users, but it is not clear in the original post whether this is what the user wants, or whether a parked domain or addon domain as I described would suffice for his/her needs.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

What could have possibly prompted you to reply to this thread in such a way I wonder?

If there's a feature request that you feel is not getting enough attention, say so with a link to it please. There is no need to attack anyone elses reply as you have above.

6. johnburk

That was in no way a attack on cPanel memebers. At least that is not how I intended to be.

I felt that the cPanel staff member replied with a totally different answer than what the topic starter was asking. So to me it looked like a copy and paste answer.

For example
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/tuning-mysql-161966.html#post681893

I am not attacking the person above me. I am just stating that there is another solution.

So with this topic I am not attacking the person above me, in this case a cPanel staff member. I am simply saying that you can ignore his reply because it is not an answer to your question.

Offtopic
    And yes, like a lot of cpanel users, I do feel frustrated about cPanel. For the last 6 years I have seen it go from a amazing hosting panel to slow, relatively expensive hosting panel that really no longer has the client as a focus point and is very, very slow in updating. Not performing feature requests, unless they are very simple things like, please upgrade tot the latest php, mysql, phpmyadmin etc.

Please just count the number of backup feature requests in the last 2 years. How many have been implemented?

I know what you are thinking. Then stop using it if you don't like it and I really hope that is not the cPanel staff mentality. I used to promote cpanel. Talking about it on forums, helping people with using it and so on. But I cannot defend it any-more. I love cpanel, but it does not love me back.

Please do not feel attacked. I am not attacking anyone. I am just a concerned client.

@cPanelJared

I did not want to attack you. That is not how it felt to me so I hope you do not see it that way. I wanted to help the TS.

7. Mario-cPanel

Mario-cPanel Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    cPanel <3's you too :)

Duly noted I believe the "Just ignore the cpanel copy and paste answer" may have been the reason it was seen this way as I have learned in my many years of forum participation it's all in the delivery of the message. I know we often just want to get the message we are trying to deliver out quickly I have done this myself in the past and then had to go back and edit my response so that it would not come across a certain way. By any means we truly appreciate your participation in our forums and thanks for helping "peace74" I believe the question could have been looked at two ways however I can see your point of view on what he is asking.

Not at all we do not think that way we want you to continue to use cPanel by all means and know that cPanel <3's you right back :) . While we try to maintain product development to what the cPanel community needs we are at times, not always,
    restricted to the architecture of the software as I am sure you can understand. We understand that cPanel is what it is today due to people such as yourself we would not be here today had it not been for the entire cPanel community. We have made many changes to the effectiveness of trying to deliver this very message to the cPanel community through many areas.

Feature requests for example have been rolled into the forums to make it something that is "community driven" YOU decide what needs to go into cPanel next, given its fundamentally possible of course and we discuss this very openly on the forums not sure if you have noticed that as of lately?

If you could provide more detailed feedback on what your referring to I would greatly appreciate it. Shoot me a direct email mario @ cPanel.net with that information.

And we appreciate you John we look forward to serving your needs through the teams here at cPanel and our flagship products. As mentioned I look forward to getting some detailed feedback on what we can do to regain the way you once felt about cPanel.

8. johnburk

@peace74

Sorry for stealing your topic

@mario

Wow! Thank you so much for your reply. It was very hart warming and I know you guys are very busy and doing all you can and I know there are 1000 feature requests and that you are all doing your best.

One thing that I have discussed before is changing the whole feature request area. For example something like

Customer Feedback for WD TV HD Media Player
    or
    WordPress › WordPress Ideas

That way people can vote, feature requests can get a status and if also can reduce the number of same of similar feature requests.

This forum has 129,065 Members and 2,683 Active Members. So that is 2% active. It is simply easer for people to just vote on ideas than fully interact in forums. Personally I have been active on the forum for 4 years and perhaps longer are just a viewer. My favourite place is the feature request where I mostly just observe and I have noticed same things coming back and getting lost. So I can imagine that users and cpanel staff overlook it. Not because they don't want to but because being a forum mod is time consuming!

I think that things can be improved when it comes to feature requests and if there is anything I can do within my means, please let me know. I am not a good coder, but I do enjoy helping cpanel.

Now that I read it back Just ignore the cpanel copy and paste answer was a bit of a stupid reply. Sorry for that.

9. Mario-cPanel

Mario-cPanel Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Appreciate the feedback

Thanks John!

In a recent meeting we actually had a discussion on how we could better improve upon how we are doing certain things on the forum.

We actually have a similar setup based on the links you provided however we have not seen much traction on that. We understand that your time is valuable so we want to try our best to incorporate this type of functionality in the forum itself.

I think if you rewind to the past 6 months you will have seen some major improvements to the forum and the resources we have allotted to them. We clearly understand and value the feedback we receive from everyone in the cPanel community.

We do sincerely appreciate your help by providing this feedback and we will call upon you when we get ready to roll out the improvements to this and other sections. In the meantime enjoy that gladiator vs. chewy shirt :)

Again many thanks to you John!

Attentively