Is it possible to have the default directory be public_html instead of the root?

tweakservers

Mar 30, 2006
cPanel default will create the main FTP ( Cpanel account ) to point to their own /home/CpanelUser directory. If you wish to have the FTP pointed directly to the public_html,you may setup additional FTP users in Cpanel

PWSowner

Nov 10, 2001
ON, Canada
Only in the FTP program settings.
By default, logging into an account means into the root of the account. What confuses some people is how with a lot of non cPanel hosting, the root of the account is where the site goes, but the cPanel setup has a separate directory for that. I prefer this way.

What we do is have a readme.txt file in the root of the skel directory containing basic instructions. Pretty much anyone new to the system will read that.

WebHostPro

PartnerNOC
Jul 28, 2002
LA, Costa RIca
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
PWSowner said:
Only in the FTP program settings.
By default, logging into an account means into the root of the account. What confuses some people is how with a lot of non cPanel hosting, the root of the account is where the site goes, but the cPanel setup has a separate directory for that. I prefer this way.

What we do is have a readme.txt file in the root of the skel directory containing basic instructions. Pretty much anyone new to the system will read that.
Great idea!

We are going to do this from now on.

PWSowner

Nov 10, 2001
ON, Canada
I added that after my second customer. The welcome email gave basic upload instructions, but they didn't read it and just uploaded to the root, so I decided to put a readme file there. I've only had 1 customer have a problem with uploading to root since then.

superiorhost

Nov 16, 2001
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The readme file is a great idea, but I have had very little problem with this issue, because I make it a main part of their welcome email. Right up by the top.
Just tell them when they FTP in, that they need to move into the public_html folder before uploading their website.

The readme is still a great second item. I think I will add that now that you mentioned it, but over all, it hasn't been a big issue.

Tim L