The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to increase the speed of the mail queue?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Jeff75, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I have about 13,000 emails in my mail queue from when I tried to install Mailscanner on FreeBSD today. It's taking about an hour just to send out 1,000 emails and I was wondering if there's anyway that I can increase this number. The server has dual Xeon 2.6 processors and there's barely any load (currently 0.07) with around a 95% idle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

try using the feature split queue directories in exim, it helps a lot with large mail queues. but you have to adjust your mailscanner settings for that!

3. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Could you tell me what I would need to do in order to do this? (as long as it doesn't screw anything up :))

I had 17,000 emails in my mail queue about 22 hours ago and there's still 12,000 to go so something is definately wrong. I need to get these emails out so my clients don't miss important emails they are waiting for.

4. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Jeff,
    That is a lot of email waiting in your queue. There is no "one catches all" solution for this. It all depends what these emails are, why they are in the mail queue to begin with, where they need to go and where they came from.
    You might want to analyze the cause first before trying to find a solution for a problem you do not know yet.

5. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

It appears as though many of the emails are bounce back messages from one client's mailing list. The mail queue is currently around 60,000. is there anyway to purge the emails from this one particular account without deleting emails for other accounts?

6. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

60.000 bounces from an email list? sounds to me like that your client is a spammer! too many bounces will get you blacklisted with most large providers like Yahoo anyway.
    And optimizing exim for mass mailings is beyond the scope of this forum here.
    It also sounds like you approve or support your customer sending out these emails to not valid email addresses which would be a spam operation. I am not sure if anyone will help you in that case - supporting spamers is just not very attractive to people these days.......